CCNA Subnet Mask and Subnetting

supertech10supertech10 Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, My name is Ramanathan and I'm from Malaysia. I have been take CCNA course 640-802 last year. That is first time I take the CCNA and it's only short course. Now I need your help. Can you explain what is subnet mask and subnetting? Can tell me the basic subnet mask and subnetting and also can you tell step by step regarding subnet mask and subnetting? And also please tell what is slash notation and prefix in subnetting? Actually I cant understand the subnetting and only understand subnet mask which describe: subnet mask is used to identify which part is host part and network part and to identify the part, logical operating that is Binary ANDing is used.

Comments

• VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    On this site, a good place to start:

IPv4 Subnetting TechNotes
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • TrashmanTrashman Member Posts: 140
    Hi, My name is Ramanathan and I'm from Malaysia. I have been take CCNA course 640-802 last year. That is first time I take the CCNA and it's only short course. Now I need your help. Can you explain what is subnet mask and subnetting? Can tell me the basic subnet mask and subnetting and also can you tell step by step regarding subnet mask and subnetting? And also please tell what is slash notation and prefix in subnetting? Actually I cant understand the subnetting and only understand subnet mask which describe: subnet mask is used to identify which part is host part and network part and to identify the part, logical operating that is Binary ANDing is used.

This is a very common question and is well documented on this forum as well as a dozen other websites on the web.

I assume you were introduced to subnetting in your 640-802 training last year, however subnetting is one of those things that can be easy to forget if you don't use it much.

Professor Messer is providing free live training this Saturday where subnetting will be explained, register here.

Also check out this link
    Bachelor of Science in Information Systems
    2015 COLOR=#008000]X[/COLOR | 2016 COLOR=#ff8c00]In progress[/COLOR | 2017 | 2018