Options

Why does network engineers also study about linux or red hat?

CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi, I just want to understand why CCNA(or any other networking cert) and a linux or red hat is a good combo for a network engineer role??

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    I think Linux is a great tool to understand in networking just because a lot of the vendor IOS platforms out there are based on Linux and knowing Linux is half the battle when you're trying to figure out some other vendor's CLI. There is even a Unix-like shell you can go into on the newer Cisco platforms to start using conditional statements, loops, pipes, etc. Check it out here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/Convert/IOS_Shell/nm_ios_shell.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Cisco IOS is based on Unix as well but someone might have to spot check me on that.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    CaptainLCaptainL Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think Linux is a great tool to understand in networking just because a lot of the vendor IOS platforms out there are based on Linux and knowing Linux is half the battle when you're trying to figure out some other vendor's CLI. There is even a Unix-like shell you can go into on the newer Cisco platforms to start using conditional statements, loops, pipes, etc. Check it out here: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios/netmgmt/configuration/guide/Convert/IOS_Shell/nm_ios_shell.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, I believe Cisco IOS is based on Unix as well but someone might have to spot check me on that.

thanks for sharing! I don't know anything about linux because I haven't experience it yet. hehe
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good question OP I always wondered myself.

I would also like to add this as well, what's the significance of obtaining a programming certs (mostly I see python) by information security(CCISP,CCNA:sec,CEH,etc certified professional) guys, how do these compliment each other?
  • Options
    ThexzenoThexzeno Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□

Actually i believe most if not all Operating systems are based on the unix kernal
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    A big part of networking is monitoring and automation. Both of which live heavily in the nix world.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Snow.bros wrote: »
    Good question OP I always wondered myself.

I would also like to add this as well, what's the significance of obtaining a programming certs (mostly I see python) by information security(CCISP,CCNA:sec,CEH,etc certified professional) guys, how do these compliment each other?

A podcast I follow has talked about Python (and other scripting languages quite a bit). From what I gather, python is popular among pen testing/attacker because it allows automation in certain aspects. For instance the same payload could be delivered to several different versions of a browser or app and through crafty python scripting you could achieve the same result but through different routes.

That may not be the best example...but that's how I understand it.

As far as python for networking, I read on here that it interfaces well with Layer4/5 protocols....I think. lol
  • Options
    PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    --chris-- wrote: »
    A podcast I follow has talked about Python (and other scripting languages quite a bit).

What's the podcast? I am always looking for good tech oriented things to listen to.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    Especially on the security side a lot of appliances will run Red Hat variants or BSD variants. Another example is Symantec's Messaging Gateway, a spam filter which also runs a Linux version. For many of these devices you will notice similarities when interacting with the command prompt.

On top of that there are just a lot of really useful command-line tools available on Linux that are conducive to network engineering, like ipcalc, vulnerability tools, and other stuff. Many secure servers in the infrastructure will also run Linux.

All in all, it's a very ubiquitous subject when you look close enough.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Thexzeno wrote: »
    Actually i believe most if not all Operating systems are based on the unix kernal

Probably but since I have direct experience with four different R&S vendors and can't speak to the others, I didn't want to speak to them all.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A Network Engineer is not always a strictly networking position. I see that this position is often a systems administrator with strong networking skills. From speaking to our higher-level engineers, they believe that it is easier to find someone with Linux knowledge and have them learn Windows than the alternative. I've found that many "Linux guys" will bite the bullet and learn enough about Windows to get things done. That is not always the case for those with a strong Windows background. Some people absolutely hate Linux. That is my take on it.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    PurpleIT wrote: »
    What's the podcast? I am always looking for good tech oriented things to listen to.

security weekly, I highly recommend it.

I've run through 36 episodes in two weeks just driving around lol.
  • Options
    ehndeehnde Member Posts: 1,103
    I live in both worlds. If you can script in bash, perl, etc...tcl isn't any more difficult. My 2 cents is that it's a love of the command line - that's why you see people doing this. It's not that employers are demanding a combination of these two skills.

Also it's nice having a native ssh client to remote into routers, switches, gateways, etc. Nexus is built on the linux kernel, albeit highly tailored by Cisco.
    Climb a mountain, tell no one.