Options

what soft skills does the interviewer look for in a security analyst role?

chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just wondering do they look for a certain type of person?

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    eddo1 wrote: »
    Just wondering do they look for a certain type of person?

I would say not a certain type of person but a person that has at least a particular set of traits:

When I was interviewing for my security analyst gig I tried to convey an attention to detail and the ability to think of multiple ways to do get the same thing done. For example you might be asked flat out "If you had to describe how to compromise this internal database from the outside, what steps would be taken?"

"Attention to detail" is sort of overused at this point but it applies for little things like, do you check security logs daily? Can you parse a log for the various important pieces of info in it (especially standardized logs like syslog).

I would recommend being really up-front with what you know and don't know as well- I basically explicitly stated some weaker areas I had and still gave all the interview questions a shot. If you can convey a strong sense of being comfortable with what you know and don't know this means you have confidence in your ability. It's not really about answering everything by the textbook response.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University