Options

A few general 70-680 questions

VikingWarlordVikingWarlord Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been working with my Hyper-V setup for a little while now, going through the Professor Messer videos and the MS Training Kit book. Some of these things have raised questions I couldn't find good answers to and the exam objectives are a bit vague.

First, how important is it to actually lab an upgrade? I don't have access to a copy of Vista to work with so I can't really do it. If I don't have to worry about it, that's great.

Second, how deep does the exam get into WSIM options? Is it necessary to know what each of the possible answers does or is it sufficient to know the procedure to create an answer file with the MS-provided bare-bones answers?

Third, actually the same question about the command-line tools (imagex, scanstate/loadstate, dism, bcdedit, etc). Is it necessary to know all the possible switches and options or is there some kind of baseline to work from?

It seems like the scope of the exam is too limited to be able to go into a lot of detail beyond general procedure but I've been screwed by exams before. Learning as much as possible is a good thing but I don't want to spend time in unproductive ways.

Comments

• Options
    AnthonyGAnthonyG Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Viking,

This exam is extremely broad for Windows and you'll see questions from every domain. I stopped studying from one of the main books for this exam because there is to much Microsoft content that from what I can tell no one uses in the real world. Unfortunately for this exam you will need to know enough on every domain to be able to rule out multiple choice options. I moved to studying off of people's notes already created here on the board by other members by writing them down. This worked out for me tremendously but I did have prior experience.

I'd see how you do on some practice tests.
  • Options
    JRavinJRavin Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anthony,
    Do you have the notes by chance? There was a thread a while back but the links have expired.
  • Options
    MrJimbo19MrJimbo19 Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am a little late to this but I found when hitting the 70-680 that the MVA course on migrating from XP to 7 was useful. You may want to check it out. I labbed more than I read for the test but I don't think that was necessary to get a pass, having a solid understanding of Win7 and where things are in addition to how knowing what tools to use in a migration scenario is going to payoff.

Automating migration from Windows XP to Windows 7

Good luck, let us know how you do!