Options

Degree vs IT certification

Treylmoore83Treylmoore83 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
In IT field you hear certifications are like Gold and even better valued then a college degree. Is that really true? I have a tech school trade in computer networking and as well 2 year degree in computer support. Certified in A+ and Net+, those certifications really are just fundamentals and not job getters at all. My next hope is to make a major educational move and I want to work in field dealing with web hosting/ web services or support or maybe mobile apps field or installing and configuring Apache or servers. Would going to complete a four year degree be more valuable career wise for me or to gain industry certifications be the better route? What do any of you recommend?

Comments

• Options
    Khaos1911Khaos1911 Member Posts: 366
    Get both and a personality to boot. You'll be golden.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    They are both useful and we can argue all day which is more useful. Just like degrees, some certifications are more useful than others though.

First thing I'd ask is why not both? Certifications are short term goals that you can do on your free time. A degree is a more long term goal. No reason they can't be done simultaneously.

Second, can you afford school? If you have a two year degree and some certifications you'll likely be fine in the job force. I wouldn't go into debt right now for more schooling if you don't have to. You can likely find an employer that will cover your schooling costs if you are just patient.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I actually am considering doing a new degree plan on the bachelors level but not sure if I should still go more networking, programming or web development or database specialty. Web design or working with web servers is what made me love IT field. Short term I do want some pointers on job now skills I can achieve in say 6-14 months and maybe make mid level role. What certification or training skills are best for web hosting and dealing with web services?
  • Options
    PrefluxPreflux Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This argument would go on forever if you gave it the chance.

They both have their benefits, undoubtably. If I for some reason HAD to choose one, I'd take the certification route, a degree going against 6 highly looked upon certs would be an easy choice. Also, in the 4 years you spend at university you can gain 4 years of experience + a vast amount of certs.

However, you could still gain certifications whilst at uni.
  • Options
    Preflux wrote: »
    This argument would go on forever if you gave it the chance.

They both have their benefits, undoubtably. If I for some reason HAD to choose one, I'd take the certification route, a degree going against 6 highly looked upon certs would be an easy choice. Also, in the 4 years you spend at university you can gain 4 years of experience + a vast amount of certs.
    However, you could still gain certifications whilst at uni.

Well what certifications are suggested and do you find most valuable? Short term it may be my best option. What are some certifications or skills that you in this post possess?
  • Options
    WolvendeerWolvendeer Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Khaos1911 wrote: »
    Get both and a personality to boot. You'll be golden.

This.

My opinion on the matter is that it depends on how you plan on applying for the job. If you're going to find your job by networking, the A.S. degree you already have should do you just fine, and you should focus on certs. If you're going to be going through the standard application process, where your resume will be going through application tracking systems, you might be better off with getting a B.S. Most jobs require it, and the ATS may filter you out entirely if it doesn't see it. I'm not completely positive on this, this is just from my limited understanding of how the systems work. Also, recruiters have tons of resumes to go through, so they're going to be looking for any reason to get rid of you.

Since you already have a two year degree, however, it shouldn't be extremely difficult to get your four year degree. What I would recommend you do is get your Sec+ and then apply to WGU (if you are in the US). The certifications combined with your existing degree should exempt you from having to take a lot of the classes there, and you can focus on what you want to do with your degree. My thoughts on the specific degree that would suit you best would be this: If you are joining corporate america, what you want to do will translate most closely to a position as a middleware administrator. They deal with installing, maintaining, and configuring packages like Apache, WebLogic, and other such web servers (in addition to other duties). These jobs usually ask for a strong knowledge of java as well as Apache, Weblogic, Websphere, and Tomcat knowledge. These positions also are usually part of the infrastructure teams, which means understanding system administration will also be good. Therefore, I'd recommend the WGU B.S. Software Development degree, which will give you Project+ and Oracle Certified Programmer. If not that, go with a degree in system or network administration. Aside from your degree, set up a virtual lab at home and make sure you know all of the above packages inside and out. That'll help you as much as any cert if you are going into a job where you will be doing non-windows system administration.
  • Options
    CrocrodelCrocrodel Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I had this dilemma recently as I have a B.A. in the Humanities field and I concluded that it would be a wiser investment to go for a Master's degree in C.S./Telecom rather than pursuing yet another degree.

Well, in my case, I have two years of helpdesk, three years of technical writing and two years of VoIP support to back up my choice. If I would go back in time from scratch, sure, I would go straight to a B.S. in C.S. and I advise everyone to do the same as it can lay a pretty good foundation, at least from a theoretical perspective.

Otherwise, if one already has a degree of some sort, it is better to hone present skills with certs and experience because employers are always interested in knowing how and when you will make money for them.

Ultimately, it's up to personal preference and also the local job market. Take a look at the job boards in your area and see if they require a specific degree.
  • Options
    Wolvendeer wrote: »
    This.

My opinion on the matter is that it depends on how you plan on applying for the job. If you're going to find your job by networking, the A.S. degree you already have should do you just fine, and you should focus on certs. If you're going to be going through the standard application process, where your resume will be going through application tracking systems, you might be better off with getting a B.S. Most jobs require it, and the ATS may filter you out entirely if it doesn't see it. I'm not completely positive on this, this is just from my limited understanding of how the systems work. Also, recruiters have tons of resumes to go through, so they're going to be looking for any reason to get rid of you.

Since you already have a two year degree, however, it shouldn't be extremely difficult to get your four year degree. What I would recommend you do is get your Sec+ and then apply to WGU (if you are in the US). The certifications combined with your existing degree should exempt you from having to take a lot of the classes there, and you can focus on what you want to do with your degree. My thoughts on the specific degree that would suit you best would be this: If you are joining corporate america, what you want to do will translate most closely to a position as a middleware administrator. They deal with installing, maintaining, and configuring packages like Apache, WebLogic, and other such web servers (in addition to other duties). These jobs usually ask for a strong knowledge of java as well as Apache, Weblogic, Websphere, and Tomcat knowledge. These positions also are usually part of the infrastructure teams, which means understanding system administration will also be good. Therefore, I'd recommend the WGU B.S. Software Development degree, which will give you Project+ and Oracle Certified Programmer. If not that, go with a degree in system or network administration. Aside from your degree, set up a virtual lab at home and make sure you know all of the above packages inside and out. That'll help you as much as any cert if you are going into a job where you will be doing non-windows system administration.

Middleware administrator and besides Java sounds exactly like a area of interest for me and definitely a direction I could see myself going in. Appreciate those words of wisdom
  • Options
    curtisc83curtisc83 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
    In IT field you hear certifications are like Gold and even better valued then a college degree. Is that really true? I have a tech school trade in computer networking and as well 2 year degree in computer support. Certified in A+ and Net+, those certifications really are just fundamentals and not job getters at all. My next hope is to make a major educational move and I want to work in field dealing with web hosting/ web services or support or maybe mobile apps field or installing and configuring Apache or servers. Would going to complete a four year degree be more valuable career wise for me or to gain industry certifications be the better route? What do any of you recommend?

Degree + Certs + Exp is a great combo. Where you get your degree also matters too. What school or schools are you considering for a BS/BA degree?
    Liberty University - Overton Graduate School of Business -Class of 2013-
    U.S. Army Paratrooper & OIF Veteran

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/curtisc83
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Go to WGU and you'll get both. Even if you don't want to go to that school, I would recommend both like others are saying.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm at the point where I'm realizing the glaring absence of a degree. All but one other of my coworkers has one.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    I don't know what school I would choose yet if I returned to do a degree plan. People talk so much about WGU, why is that so hyped up? Is it affordable and very recognized university? Any other school recommendations with online IT courses? Any recommendations on online resources to learn good job skills or simulator/virtual tools? I have used virtual box and VMware workstation for lab practice and do some courses on Udemy.com, what else is good for self learning new IT important skills?
  • Options
    alestor96alestor96 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well for software developing I think certifications are not very important, so I would have to go with the degree. Get a quick degree from WGU in software development and you're good to go :) .
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know what school I would choose yet if I returned to do a degree plan. People talk so much about WGU, why is that so hyped up? Is it affordable and very recognized university?]

WGU is a private, non-profit, regionally accredited university. Tuition is very low (comparatively speaking), and you pay a flat fee per semester. You pay per semester rather than per credit-hour, so you can take as many classes as you like per semester for the same amount of money. It's 100% online, go at your own pace, competency-based learning, with IT certifications integrated into the degree program. This type of model has proven very popular with adult IT professionals who work full-time and don't have the ability to attend a brick-and-mortar university.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)