.pkt file attachment problem

vpnvpn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi
I tried attaching a .PKT Packet Tracer file with a post of mine but it is always giving error message pops out saying "Invalid file"
Does this forum not support .pkt files as attachment?
Then how to post problems related to packet tracer? icon_sad.gif

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    people sometimes post links to third party shares like dropbox. Otherwise a quick screen shot of what your asking about.

I have never looked into the sites restrictions but I assume they don't want to function as a file share so they restrict posts to images of some type.
  • vpnvpn Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    But I think techexams.net should modify this site so that people can post topics with packet tracer files as attachment . Otherwise it is often very difficult to post networking problems.
    I dont understand why didnt they made such provisions and no one ever bothered to post this!!
  • MTciscoguyMTciscoguy Member Posts: 552
    Just take a screen shot and post the image, .pkt file is a unique file type, that is not something you seen very often, just hit your print screen key and post the resulting image file. It is not reasonable to be a brand new poster on a free system that is used to learn from, to request they modify their system, just do it the same way others do. For the 10's of thousands of message posted here, it does not seem like it has been a problem for anyone else!
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You have to post a link to a shared drive. Don't forget to post your configuration information with the screen shot.
    Being a new poster I am just suggesting to improve the site ! I am not posting profanity or using slangs. BTW ,do you think a picture will suffice a full config file? my mother tongue is not English so maybe i write wrongly or misunderstood. But what i say is- it is difficult to explain with pics alone!!
    And every now and then you cant post pictures of various configurations.to explain things. TELL ME ,HOW CAN PICS REPLACE A FULL GNS3 OR PACKET TRACER FILE??
    How can some pictures replace a full .pkt file????
    Also , how easy will it be to explain with pics rather than post the full .pkt file??
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    vpn wrote: »
    TELL ME ,HOW CAN PICS REPLACE A FULL GNS3 OR PACKET TRACER FILE??
    Not everyone here on Techexams has Packet Tracer, so they will not be able to view your project. You can try to ZIP the .pkt file, then upload it, or use a file sharing site such as Dropbox or 4shared.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    How can some pictures replace a full .pkt file????
    Also , how easy will it be to explain with pics rather than post the full .pkt file??

Relax :)

Welcome to the forums VPN. You will find we are an active community and someone will usually do their best to help people with specific questions they have. While at times it might be convenient to be able to upload a packet tracer file that format is very specific to entry level cisco and not really appropriate for the greater audience on the forums.

You seemed to take offense to what has been appropriately pointed out. You have options that are available to you if you want to share a file. It might not be your preferred answer but I think it is a small enough issue that we can move on and try helping you with your actual questions instead.

I personally believe learning to formulate specific questions that can be posted online is a valuable skill. Often we will be asked to explain things in simple terms and this is a good environment to practice that skill while studying.

Good Luck!
    Hi Ltat ,
    I understood that I have to post a link to my packet tracer file but some people are suggesting me to post pictures as an alternative which I feel is not the correct way.
    One can't understand a problem by seeing only pics of configurations and a topo diagram.I feel it shud be complemented by a PT or GNS3 file .
    Also, Ltat if many people dont use PT then what is the use of even posting links of shared files?
    Lastly, how can all those people do without a PT simulator .I mean sometimes you do need PT instead of GNS3.And real hardware to me is very costly!!
    I dont think everyone in this world can afford 4 switches and routers along with a L3 switch.
    Regards
    I dont think everyone in this world can afford 4 switches and routers along with a L3 switch.
    Regards

Actually getting the switches, routers to do your studies, is not that expensive, I have 5 switches, 5 routers that run the latest IOS a fully configured computer that has 12 serial ports as well as Packet tracer and GNS3, I also just picked up two L3 switches to add to my system and I also have 2 dell power edge servers and I still have not spent a thousand dollars.
    Current Lab: 4 C2950 WS, 1 C2950G EI, 3 1841, 2 2503, Various Modules, Parts and Pieces. Dell Power Edge 1850, Dell Power Edge 1950.
    Just like you said not everyone uses pt or gns3 ,similarly not everyone in this world is not so privileged to spend even 100 dollars .and fyi i am from india and i cant find one single website selling switches or routers that is cheap. Further i dont have so much space in my room or in my house. And i stay with my parents and dependent on them for money. They will kick me out of their home if i beg for 1000 dollars and when my mom will see all those devices being purchased ,she will be even more sweeter to me.
    so dont think that everyone in this world is equally privileged as you or some of you are.everyone is not in the same situation or place as you are
    vpn, I am not privileged, I just happen to have a nice retirement after working my whole life in the army, no one is saying anything bad about you, you need to calm down a bit, this is a great place to learn a lot of good things, a lot of people on here have put their systems together piece by piece from purchases made on ebay, which has some really nice equipment for study at really good prices.

You seem to have a bit of a chip on your shoulder my friend, just calm down some and start reading, we are all in the same game here and everybody is trying to improve themselves and their lot in life, to move up the chain, not down. Everybody is here to learn and help when we can.
  • pierrevillerespierrevilleres Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Packet Tracer/GNS3 are very useful in simulating a networking environment and I think alot of us use them when we study so I agree with you sir.