Options

Resume Critique

jacobs817jacobs817 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

I'm new to the boards here but I've been searching around and reading a lot of good info on here. I recently started applying to entry level help desk jobs and entry level computer technician jobs but I haven't been getting interviews or call backs. I currently have zero experience in the work force but as most of us started I've got a good amount of experience working at home. Here's a copy of my resume, I was wondering if anyone has any tips or can help me get it straightened out to better my chances of getting an interview.

Cover Letter
John Doe
Anywhere, USA 12345
123-456-7890
johndoe@email.com

ATTN: Human Resources, “Position” Opening, Anywhere, USA

I am a current “Company” employee looking for an opportunity to pursue a career in the IT industry. “New Company” offers the opportunity for me to work in an environment that matches my interests in which I am passionate. I recently saw a job opening for a “Position”, and ask for your consideration of me for the position.

In 2009, I worked for “Job 1”, helping customers resolve technical issues and assisting in the training of new hires as well as tenured agents. Some of my duties involved asking customers the right questions to discover and resolve the root cause of the issue, training new and tenured agents on the technical aspects of the job, and supporting agents on live calls by offering advice and answering their questions. I also created a program to help tenured agents focus on areas of opportunities in their troubleshooting skills. I can apply the skills I learned at “Job 1” by discovering and resolving technical issues, as well as communicating technical language to the lay person.

In my personal life, I have expanded on my interests in the IT field by working on computers for family and friends. I have built and upgraded computers, installed and configured home networks, installed various operating systems, and diagnosed multiple different issues. Currently I am studying for the A+ Certification, learning how to troubleshoot hardware and software issues, basic understanding of networking principles, and common printer maintenance and repairs, among many other technical related issues. I will also be enrolling in school for “Bachelor’s Degree” next spring with future plans of obtaining my Masters in “Master’s Degree”.

I am confident that the skills and knowledge I have learned thus far in my career are transferrable and beneficial to the help desk position. In short, I have a passion for information technology and expanding my knowledge-base, and hope to bring this passion to “New Company”.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I hope to hear from you soon.

Sincerely,

John Doe

Resume
John Doe
Anywhere, USA 12345
Cell: (123) 456-7890
Email: johndoe@email.com

KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
· Knowledgeable in Microsoft Products
· Knowledgeable in computer and network hardware
· Adapts quickly to a changing environment
· Efficient learner and applies new knowledge proficiently
· Communicates technical information in an understandable way
· Attention to detail and excellent time management

COMPUTER EXPERIENCE:
· Building, upgrading and repairing computer hardware and software
· 2007 Web design competition at Georgia Tech
· Personal experience with basic programming and web design

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY:
· October 2013 – Present “Current Company”: perform general service on passenger and truck vehicles; diagnostics; train in new general service technicians
· October 2010 – October 2013 “Job 2”: manage shifts and delegate duties up to six people; focus on customer service and building customer relationships
· June 2009 – September 2010 “Job 1”: conducted troubleshooting for DirecTV customers; assisted agents with difficult calls; quality control between agents and customers; training advocate for new hires and tenured agents

EDUCATION:
· Currently studying for A+ Certification
· 2009 -- General Educational Development diploma from the Career Learning Center in City, STATE
· Classes in AP Computer Science, Web Design and Cisco Networking (CCNA)

CERTIFICATIONS AND AWARDS:
· Current Company
o (2014) Alignment Technician Certification
· Job 2
o (2012) Coffee Master Certification
o (2011) Barista Trainer Certification

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments