Options

books paperback vs hardcover

CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi guys,
So after getting both CCENT and CCNA hardcovers books I am looking for a paperback rather than hardcover for ease of use.

Routing TCP/IP, Volume 1 (2nd Edition): 9788131700426: Amazon.com: Books

Can anyone confirm if buying this on paperback is decent? I mean with the hardcover having 900 pages its crazy to actually cart around and read.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I prefer HC when given a choice. However, due to time constraints and such I have, on occasion, purchased the SC of a large tech book...it's 'ok' to use, but not my first choice. If that is all you have available, sure, it will be fine. The inside content is the same :). When possible, I would rather pay a the extra money and get the HC.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    CiderCider Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I mean, reading this book would be like reading any other book which paperback would be best for ease (in bed, on the train etc). If its a reference book then hardcover would be best.

I just want to get a feel from someone that has used a paperback for a technical book.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    I have used a tech book, a few times, I don't prefer it as mentioned above.

Personally, 900+ paged book to read in bed is a pain if it is not HC.

Nothing changes the content inside, but a SC, to me, is simply a mess to hold, and it does not lay well on a table. I feel like I have to hold the book open all the time, or break the spine (which I dislike doing).

If portability is an issue, you could get an Ebook version and hard bound? Or some of the vendors Put PDFs on the media that comes with the text...gives some options.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    dsgmdsgm Member Posts: 228 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I buy 90% of my books in SC it is as you say easier to carry around. Just my preference
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I much prefer hard cover for a tech book like this you will probably stick on a shelf and reference now and then.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.