Options

College for just Gen Arts??

CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
So I have a year left in my current contract with the military and I am looking to get as much credits as I can before I get out. Since I am in Korea, I have no choice but to do the Distance Learning program and I plan on going to a "B+M" school once I get out. I am looking to settle in the Arizona/Phoenix area since ASU has a degree program that I want. I wanted to know would any Regional Credited school be good enough to knock out as much General Art classes as I can or are there other factors that I should keep in mind? Would WGU be a good choice for just Gen Art classes or should I just stick with the "For Profit" schools??

Comments

• Options
    mistabrumley89mistabrumley89 Member Posts: 356 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are getting out in a year... unless you are using your GI Bill, good luck with enrolling into WGU in a timely manner. The Ed Centers seem to know nothing about it, and they seem to try to convince you to go to a local or more popular distance learning school. If you do just take General classes, then make sure the school you will be transferring to will accept those credits at an equal level class.
    Goals: WGU BS: IT-Sec (DONE) | CCIE Written: In Progress
    LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/charlesbrumley
  • Options
    Chances are, I will being using the GI/Post 9-11 bill. Not like my Service has helped me any with the BS they have been pulling everytime I made a request for TA. Disappointing that no one else has weighted in on my post but it is what it is. I was wondering if WGU would be a good option but judging by your post, I guess the For Profits schools, DSSTs and CLEPs would be the way to go.
  • Options
    ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't comment on the military aspects, but for gen ed / distance learning courses, look into some of the community colleges. If you are interested in ASU, see if they have any community colleges in the area with articulation agreements.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    While you're still in I would recommend UMUC as they have a presence on every post (well did in the army anyways) and they are regionally accredited.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd also recommend UMUC if you're still active duty. They transfer over and accept a lot of your training credits as course credits. After they accepted my Air Force IT training, I was 4 credits shy (1 math and 3 IT classes) of my Associates. They will go out of their way to help you if you're either active duty or a veteran.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Thank you Lopez, that is who I am most likely going to go with at this point not to mention they have a major contract with the Ed Center in Osan. Lol I am a couple credits shy of my CCAF and just focusing to finish that for now. I know the CCAF doesn't mean much on the outside but it is still something to add to a resume, also shows some proof that you did take a few college courses...

I am assuming that you did accomplish your CCAF before you got out? I am just trying to rack up as much college credits as I can before I get out.
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was one credit short of my CCAF (lower level math). You can actually CLEP/DSST most of the requirements (even leadership, speech).

To be honest, CCAF is worthless on the outside and only good for EPR bullets and boards while active duty.

Stop by the UMUC office, they will get you squared away ASAP.

Also, if you want to get as much college credit as possible, you can CLEP/DSST a bunch of courses (environment, health, intro IT, computers, and management were no brainers and I passed with no studying), however, most schools will only take so many seeing as they are (for the most part) lower level course credit and a certain percentage of your degree must be split amongst lower and upper level.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    geek4godgeek4god Member Posts: 187
    If you are going to finish at ASU you need to make sure you are taking the GENED thy want you to take. Reach out to them, tell them you situation and make sure you understand their degree requirements! Next I would get your GENED as cheap as you can!! Save that money for your undergrad at the brick and mortar and/or grad school one day!

Lots of accredited and cheap online schools. I finished my undergrad at Fort Hays State University because it was fully accredited, had an actual campus as well as the online component I needed! Next be careful of the for profit schools. If you look you can find what you need without paying the premium they charge! Also be careful at review sites, many just show you results from for profit degrees! Get Educated is a good site and they do a best buy that might help you find affordable schools!
  • Options
    I figured it would be worthless... but still 5% of something is still better then nothing. Lol

I already CLEP/DSST two of the IT ones already, thou I am not to confident about the MIS yet to go in blind. Even thou I did go to ALS, sadly I failed the Speech CLEP since it was a lot different from the version everyone else seem to take. You take an actually test for it and have 15 minutes to write a speech about a subject that you may not know anything about... passed the test but failed the actually speech part, since I had no idea what the subject was about to begin with. Lol

Thank you for the advice, that is what I will be most likely be doing. CLEPs, DSSTs, and UCMC until the day I am out for good.
  • Options
    da_vato wrote: »
    While you're still in I would recommend UMUC as they have a presence on every post (well did in the army anyways) and they are regionally accredited.

That is weird... only now I saw this post come up from you DaVato... But it looks like I will be going with UMUC.