Options

Exelis-Kuwait

504tech504tech Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Has anyone ever work for Exelis in Kuwait or Afganistan? And what was your experience?

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not, but I have worked for ITT before it was Excelis, just not in Kuwait/Afghanistan. I am however getting emails from them trying to get me to interview with them.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    504tech wrote: »
    Has anyone ever work for Exelis in Kuwait or Afganistan? And what was your experience?

Yes, Afghanistan. Several others here have as well. My experience was meh - low pay, easy work. HR guy named Larry in Kuwait (I think) is a total lying douchebag (has to do with promises to reimburse certain expenses).

If you have to have a job, I would do it (at the time I did, couldn't find anything in west Texas - we had to move back due to a custody issue w/ my stepson, long story.) Did my year there, didn't look back. If you have other opportunities, especially overseas, I would take those first - you will almost certainly get better pay, and you will definitely get better benefits (another sticking point: they advertise a matched 401k retirement plan available - it's not, only if you work for the corp. office. As I fully intended on maxing out the contributions when I was there, I think I lost out on 10-12k of matching funds + growth that I had factored into determining whether or not the low salary was going to be worth the year being gone.)

bottom line, bottom of barrel. I would do again if I was totally desperate, but not otherwise.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    I thought the pay was at least six figures is that not true?
  • Options
    CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    When I was on my second tour in Afghanistan, I was near the American Embassy in Kabul. At that time Exelis was the contractor that provided the IT infrastructure/services for the compound. Depending on what your job was out there it would determine how much you got paid... They provided four different office of services, between ADPE (User end Computers), Networking+Voip, Long Haul Circuits, and the System Managers. Thou even the lowly guys were still getting a nice pay of 85K+. Networking guys were making a killing out there with the 100K+, one of the Exelis guys was a kid that turned 20 when I got there. He ended up leaving after doing his year in Afghanistan, to pretty much vacation and finish up his college degree. To be fair that kid was smart and motivated as hell, graduated from high school before or around when was 16, he ended up making about a $120 or 150K before he left the Stan.

I don't know if they are still paying that high for new employees since much of the "conflict status" of Afghanistan has died down and plan to be minimum presence by next year. You could probably still strike while it is hot and get at least one good year but I wouldn't expect that to happen especially if you don't have a Security Clearance yet
  • Options
    Thanks for the info.