Options

Self-study path to DBA

Paul6Paul6 Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
I need to advance beyond my current help desk role, and I'm thinking a DBA position is where I want to end up. What training is most relevant to a DBA's responsibilities and duties? I know experience is king, but I need something to study in the meantime.

I think getting a MCSA in SQL Server would be a good start, but I heard their exams are overly difficult and even experienced DBA's fail them. Does anyone have knowledge of specific Master's programs in Database Administration or Database Systems? I've seen a few, mostly at unheard-of colleges, but I'm not sure of their quality.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    tkerbertkerber Member Posts: 223
    I think you're not seeing any degrees for 'DBA' because it's not necessary to have a degree focused in 'DBA'. Any CompSci degree from a traditional four year college (non-profit) would be just fine, in fact--preferable. But also ask yourself--why do you want to go to the DBA route? I've known and worked with a few DBAs before and it looks like possibly the most boring IT job ever. Most of the DBAs I worked with moved into development.