Resume Critique please

JeshJesh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have now completed the certs you see over to the left side, and i'm still stuck in the same non-IT related job i've been at for the last 6 years.. i've been on and off looking for a new job ever since I completed the A+/N+ duo, going a bit harder at it once I got my Security+ done and then tapering off a bit once nothing happened figuring i'd hit it hard again once I finished my CCENT.

So I finished my CCENT and went at it hard again.. nothing. Now here I am with my CCNA finished, still working at the same place. Needless to say i'm a bit frustrated at this point. It's not like i'm getting interviews constantly and then not getting the job i'm not even getting interviews.. just nothing. I got a few calls from recruiters here and there but they didn't turn into interviews. I went to a staffing agency recently sat down with a recruiter felt good about what she said and then never heard from her again, not one phone call.

The one interview i've had in the last 6 months was for a job I realized after the first interview I didn't actually want and shouldn't have applied for and had to turn down. I am located in Mobile AL so this is not a very good area for this type of work which isn't helping at all, even despite me being willing to take a pay cut.

So here's my current resume if you can help me with it at all I would appreciate it. Something's obviously wrong with it if i'm now at the CCNA level and I can't even land a help desk job.
wip.doc 28.5K

Comments

• JeshJesh Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • cruwlcruwl Member Posts: 341 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You're resume is way to general. Spell out your CCNA, you want you resume to hit key words So actually using Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) will hit more items then just CCNA. I like to put dates I acquired my certs, this shows progression and the fact that you have been working on these.

your object statement should be tailored more to the roles you are applying for and maybe be more specific.

Again in order to hit more Items on Resume scanning software put more details into these:
    • Perform set up of system software, and installation of desktop and server hardware
    • Provide desktop and mobile support for 30+ users in an office environment
    • Malware detection and removal

Add names of the software, Add OS versions you support, add server hardware manufacturer names and maybe models.
    Mobile support? what kind? IOS, android or bb?
    Malware detection and removal? how what tools? ect.

My opinion you are generalizing way to much stuff and you don't stand out at all.
  • pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I think your biggest issue is location. I just searched CCNA in Mobile, AL on Indeed and it came up with 6 jobs. None of them are entry-level. I searched A+ and got 7. If you look up Tampa, FL which is not really booming in IT jobs, then you get 70+ results. Houston and Seattle comes up with around 150 results. Washington DC comes up with 800+ results. It's going to be hard to break into IT when there are only a handful of jobs available. If nothing is keeping you from leaving Mobile, AL, then you should really consider moving where there are more opportunities.
  • srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You need to get some professional IT experience on there, and I also recommend that you pursue a degree in IT. Have you considered WGU?
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • brianeaglesfanbrianeaglesfan Member Posts: 130
    I am originally from Mobile and can tell you that I didn't have any substantial career progression until I moved away. It's amazing the number of opportunities that you have access to for growing your career by moving to another location such as Houston (where I'm at) or Tampa. Like others have mentioned if you're looking to stay in Mobile you'll really need to step up your game to get a shot, and pursuing higher education is one way of doing this. If you're wanting to work in infrastructure certs are the way to go, and WGU offers a great opportunity to kill two birds with one stone. Good luck!
    Complete: MSMIS, MBA, EPIC certified
    In progress: CPHIMS, CAPM
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    cruwl wrote: »
    You're resume is way to general. Spell out your CCNA, you want you resume to hit key words So actually using Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) will hit more items then just CCNA. I like to put dates I acquired my certs, this shows progression and the fact that you have been working on these.

your object statement should be tailored more to the roles you are applying for and maybe be more specific.

Again in order to hit more Items on Resume scanning software put more details into these:
    • Perform set up of system software, and installation of desktop and server hardware
    • Provide desktop and mobile support for 30+ users in an office environment
    • Malware detection and removal

Add names of the software, Add OS versions you support, add server hardware manufacturer names and maybe models.
    Mobile support? what kind? IOS, android or bb?
    Malware detection and removal? how what tools? ect.

My opinion you are generalizing way to much stuff and you don't stand out at all.

This. Jesh - You have some nice certs, but your CV (or resume as they say in the USA) isn't showing you off.... no offense - but it's horrible. But the good news is that we can fix it quite easily.

Your CV is in the wrong order in my eyes. You should have your Address/Name/LinkedIn at the top, summary/profile underneath, then your skills, then your professional work experience, followed by your certifications and finally, end with a little 'About Me' section. I've done my CV's the way i've described and i've literally had around 20 calls in 2-3 weeks.

You also want to get yourself a more professional CV template. Yours was clearly done by yourself - so fair play - but it looks unprofessional. You can find free templates on google, which you can manipulate the design and make them your own - and you should totally do that.

Also, you NEED the months you started/finished courses/work. For example.... You say you worked in retail from 2006-2008. That's 2 years.... did you work from Jan-2006 to December 2008? Because that's 24 months. OR did you work December 2006 to January 2008? Because that's not 24 months. Do you see what I mean?

Like I said, you have some nice certs, especially the CCNA. You should get some better job offers/interviews once you fix these points.

Good luck!