Options

First 3 Months in First IT Job

Ls1raiderLs1raider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,

I don't post here much, just scroll a lot throughout the forums. However, I can remember a time when I would read over the posts of other members feeling hopeless they'd never get their foot in the door and me feeling the exact same way. I owe a lot to this forum, and it has been a tremendous help to me and my career. I just wanted to start a post to kind of explain my journey, and also try to instill a sense of hope in the people who have been searching for their first opportunity with no luck.

After being laid off during the recession from a job in manufacturing, I finally decided to go back to school. I decided on pursuing an AAS in Computer Networking and Service Technology. When I was a little more then half way through my degree, I got what I thought would be a stable job with plenty of hours. It was in the day(had been working night shift in my previous jobs) and I got to travel. I got comfortable in my new job and stopped going to school again. Well after two years I was laid off again. This time I decided HAD to finish my degree. As I was finishing up my last few classes I had no idea what I'd do with my degree, nor did I get much direction from my school staff. I then stumbled upon this website. After reading dozens of posts, sometimes staying up hours at night, I finally had a direction and it was clearer then ever. Even though I had no certs and no degree, I felt I had a plan. I continued to finish my degree, and put in numerous apps with no luck. I was not deterred, however. I knew I still had work to do and after reading numerous posts on Techexams with sound advice I acquired my A+ and CCENT. Again, app after app with no luck. I did what I what I didn't want to do and went back to a job in manufacturing because it was the only experience I had. With hopes of one day getting into the IT dept. within the same company, I got a job back in manufacturing. In the mean time I kept applying to outside companies, I volunteered a bit, all while working night shift. Sometimes 7 days a week for weeks or months on end. After almost a year of this, I finally got an opportunity to interview for a help desk job at this same company. Needless to say, things went well and I've now been working on the helpdesk for 3 months and couldn't be happier. I'm doing everything I can to continue to further my skills and knowledge and I'm excited at the prospect for new opportunities.

I just basically wanted to let people know that there is opportunities out there. Sometimes masked ones, like in my case. You just have to be persistent. It's not always a clear path, but you have to remain focused, keep getting certified, and take any chance you can to learn. Hopefully my story can help you pick up that book again or re energize your ambitions. Let me know if you have any questions. Thanks for reading.
AAS Computer Networking and Service Technology

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Great story. Glad everything worked out for you. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is all very true.

I spent 3 years of my life, almost giving up at the prospect of working in IT. Even having certs and not getting helpdesk was a kick in the teeth.

The thing is, your IT career is like binary, and it happens so fast. You might find yourself one week wondering if it will ever happen, to sitting at your desk nervous but eager to learn. Once that happens, your in!

Was the volunteering a factor in you getting the job ls1raider?
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    Awesome story, and one that hopefully motivates those that want to pursue this field. It is not easy by any means, and I advise that you keep studying, keep reading , and never stop learning.
  • Options
    Ls1raiderLs1raider Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys. Kai123 I'm not 100% if it did or not, but I just really wanted something relevant in the experience section of resume. It didn't seem to help with the applications I put in before then, but I'm sure it didn't hurt either. Kai123 and pr1985 are exactly right, it can be years before you get your first shot, but if you keep studying, keep progressing eventually something will open up for you.
    AAS Computer Networking and Service Technology
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats! I love reading these types of stories.

You are done with one of the hardest parts of IT - getting your first full time IT job. Don't get complacent and stop learning. Keep watching the job boards and use your current job to help you build the skills youll need for your next job. If you are serious about IT, I definitely recommend you start building a home lab.

Best of luck to you!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    That was a great read, congrats on your new responsibilities and keep hacking away at those certs.
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    Confl1ct10nConfl1ct10n Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great story, I hope you are able to keep moving up in the field. I am just now trying to start personally but luckily for me I was able to find an internship. Kindof hopes that helps the resume.
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    Maybe it's just some of you guys are living off in a city where IT isn't very hot? Search keyword "CCNA" in any big metro area in Texas and California you will get pages and pages of hits...desktop support? Twice as much hits, maybe a move is needed to land an IT job...