Options

WAN over E1's

2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
What do you guys think is the best way to connect a network using e1's? Anyone have such a configuration? If so, what are you using?

Thanks
2lbs.
Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.

Comments

• Options
    EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What do you guys think is the best way to connect a network using e1's? Anyone have such a configuration? If so, what are you using?

Thanks
    2lbs.

You will have to elaborate, what type of network for starters? FR, TDM, ATM?
    How many nodes? Redundancy required?
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • Options
    I just want to use the standard HDLC on the serial interfaces. The only difference being that instead of using a DB60-V.35 (as is the case now) I want to connect to the other router via an E1 modem. The E1 modem has standard 120ohm (RJ-45) connections. Now the question is what is the best way to get that RJ-45 terminated to the router's serial port?

2lbs.
  • Options
    forbeslforbesl Member Posts: 454
    I just want to use the standard HDLC on the serial interfaces. The only difference being that instead of using a DB60-V.35 (as is the case now) I want to connect to the other router via an E1 modem. The E1 modem has standard 120ohm (RJ-45) connections. Now the question is what is the best way to get that RJ-45 terminated to the router's serial port?

2lbs.
    In order to do this you will need some type of CSU/DSU device between the serial router interface and the E1 modem.
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:
    In order to do this you will need some type of CSU/DSU device between the serial router interface and the E1 modem.

...such as? anything you have in mind?

There are e1 converters in the market, but I was wondering if any of you guys use other mechanisms.
  • Options
    forbesl wrote:

...such as? anything you have in mind?

There are e1 converters in the market, but I was wondering if any of you guys use other mechanisms.
    We use these:

http://www.data-connect.com/Verilink_Access-T.htm

I believe they make them in an E1 model also.
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Forgive me if I'm pointing out something obvious, but can't you just use a WIC with a built-in DSU that supports the E1 connection?

i.e. www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b9c.html
  • Options
    Webmaster wrote:
    Forgive me if I'm pointing out something obvious, but can't you just use a WIC with a built-in DSU that supports the E1 connection?

i.e. www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_data_sheet09186a0080091b9c.html
    Of course he can, provided his router and IOS supports it; however, he stated:
    I just want to use the standard HDLC on the serial interfaces.
  • Options
    Right. The only reason I'm not using that WIC is that I want to use the built-in synchronous serial interfaces on 2500 routers. The WIC would require 2600's and would make the price tag for implementing the network higher.

forbesl: how much did that thing cost you? they don't have online price quotes.

isn't there a cable that just converts DB60 to 120ohm? I've seen DB15's to 120ohm. So I was thinking there should be a DB60's to 120ohm somewhere out there.

2lbs.
  • Options
    forbesl: how much did that thing cost you? they don't have online price quotes.
    Quite frankly, I can't tell you how much it cost anymore. We procured this through a govt. contract three or four years ago. Our budget dept. tracks that stuff. All I do is give them price quotes and I don't keep the quotes once the equipment has been received. If you look at the bottom on the web page of the link I sent you you'll see a "Get A Quote" link. Other than that, try doing a google search to see if you can get a faster quote with another vendor.
    isn't there a cable that just converts DB60 to 120ohm?

2lbs.
    Check this link out: It might be what you're looking for.
    http://www.patton.com/products/pe_products.asp?category=96

Are you doing this for a lab, or for a business? If you doing this for a business, I'd say they need to update their equipment. A 2500 series router, IMHO, is only good for one thing anymore: a CCNA lab.