Options

CPU Questions

carnagelancarnagelan Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys

I am busy using the SYBEX Complete study guide to study for my 801 and 802 which is going pretty well.

Is there an easy way to remember what sockets are for what CPU?

I am talking about AMD sockets as i don't really have experience with those CPUs. I Dont want to walk into the exam and have a question where i really have to guess, but would rather understand on how everything works.
Instead of having to say i7 will fit into a 1156,1155,1366. I would rather want to know why those sockets will work for that Processor.

My exam has been booked for 30 August giving me plenty of time to study and not rush through everything.

MY 802 will be booked once i pass my 801.

Thanks guys.
Current Certs: None Yet:(
Want to achieve in 2014: A+, Net+

Comments

• Options
    JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    You just need to memorize that. Same as knowing com and serial ports and address numbers.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • Options
    ChamayoChamayo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey Carnagelan!
    I'm glad I found this forum before my tests on Sept. 25th.

If you haven' already, head to Exam Objectives to download both PDF documents of the official exam objectives for the 202.801 and 201.802 tests. To make it easy on you, also print out a copy of each so you can highlight or mark each objective that you have practiced and learned.

On the 202.801 exam objectives document, you will find a list of what sockets need to be memorized for the test. I recommend for each individual socket, to search for it at wikipeda.org because they provide a list of processors that take advantage of it and shows any predecessor or successor sockets if available. They also provide a brief history of each.

Good luck!
  • Options
    ChamayoChamayo Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    They're the same/similar as Intel's but with different names.

Intel uses QPI that competes with HyperTransport. AMD uses UMI that competes with Intel's DMI.

The brand "Athlon" competes with "Pentium." "Phenom" was intended to compete with "Core" but AMD flopped on that one, most likely you will buy an Athlon instead of a Phenom because they are still faster clock for clock (even though the Phenom might sport L3 cache.)

Athlon 64 X2 does not mean it is an Athlon II, it simply means that it is a 64-bit Athlon with two cores.

When focusing on the sockets you should group:

940, F

AM2, AM2+ and AM3, AM3+

FM1

Consider how they are all PGA except for the F which is LGA.

Also consider how AMD made the Athlon 64 X2 for the Socket 939 (not necessary for this test) and for the Socket AM2.
    So that explains why you will see earlier sockets support the Athlon 64 X2 and later sockets cease to support it for the Athlon II instead.

Each newer socket not only provides a faster HyperTransport, but offers improvement such as support for dual channel DDR3. They also contain extra pins and maybe bigger ones like the one on the AM3+ (which offers a faster serial link between the CPU to power, improved power regulation, and a better CPU cooler retention.)

It is important to know AMD technical specifications because they reinforce your knowledge with Intel technology and they provide a different option for your customers.