Starting my way to CCNA

rmard001rmard001 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,
I'm new to this Forum and I just recently passed CompTIA Security+ this week. However, I am interested in earning a CCNA since it appeals to my interests. I picked up the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lamale to start studying. Any tips for a beginner?

I appreciate any tips or comments. Thanks!

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Welcome to the forums! You found a great resource for you studying.

The one thing I found when I started about this time last year is that there are almost to many resources for CCNA.
    Just pick one and get started as it's all overwhelming at first.

I was never a fan of video training but it helped me a lot with CCNA.
    With so many topics covered it helped me read faster once I had an overview of the material from a video.

Good Luck!
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    rmard001 wrote: »
    Hello guys,
    I'm new to this Forum and I just recently passed CompTIA Security+ this week. However, I am interested in earning a CCNA since it appeals to my interests. I picked up the CCNA Routing and Switching Study Guide by Todd Lamale to start studying. Any tips for a beginner?

I appreciate any tips or comments. Thanks!

remain focused; its a ton of material to absorb.
  • trXtrX Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your Sec+ Cert!

I agree with Jon_Cisco, watching some videos before reading is a good way to get an overview of the chapter/topic, which makes it easier to grasp the more detailed reading. They can also be good after you read if you want to get another perspective on the topic from a different video. However, videos definitely do not replace the reading.

I recently just started studying as well for my CCNA. Even though I have quite a bit of networking experience from the military it is a lot of material to cover. Stick with it!
  • mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have real hardware and construct some cables i.e. straight thru and crossovers..Get a patch panel for your "lab"
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University
  • rmard001rmard001 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks to everyone for the positive vibes!!! I'm glad this community has active member and very helpful information with anything IT related :D
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    LAB LAB LAB and LAB some more.
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.