Options

Frame-Relay p-t-p

urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Can I set up Frame Relay point-to-point connection with "frame-relay map ip" command or do I always need to use "frame-relay interface-dlci" command for setting up any p-t-p connections?

With Regards

Comments

• Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    I never tried it, but I can imagine it would work. But why? If I were to assume you are using sub-interfaces for point-to-point, then I would use the frame-relay interface-dlci command.

When using point-to-point, you do not need to use the frame-relay map command, because it is always assumed that the end point of the point-to-point connection will be on the same subnet as the start point.

The frame-relay map command will specifically assign your DLCI's to multipoint directions.

If you were doing a hybrid hub and spoke where you wanted the spokes to be point-to-point, and the hub would be multi-point, you would use the frame-relay map command on the hub in that situation, while the spokes were configured with the frame-relay interface-dlci command.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    urviurvi Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Vinny,
    Thanks for the nice explanations.
    1)Can you also tell me what does this command "show ip ospf database network 10.10.10.6" does?

2)Is Frame-Relay Point-to-multipoint the same as Frame-Relay Multipoint? I often read about Frame-Relay Point-to-multipoint or Multipoint to point-to-point ? Are all these the other name for the Multipoint ?
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    1) The show ip ospf database network command displays information regarding the specified networks info such as the advertising router, IP address or Link State ID, and neighboring routers ID's. Below is a screen sample of a lab I was working on recently:

2) No. Configuration is different based upon how you go about it, such as how I explained above.
    01.JPG 41.6K
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.