Two routers with a switch between

sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
If I have two routers and a switch in between them, how would I set them up?

If I have a little complicated scenario where the switch is on Router-On-Stick inter-vlan communication configuration via one of the router, and another router is to be talking to the other router with a dynamic routing protocol, what shall be some settings on these devices?

Do the ports that connect these two routers need any special settings? just as switchports? or not?

Thanks.
(forgot a lot since the studies)

Comments

• Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not really following what your trying to configure here.

What routing protocol are you trying to use and what is it communicating with?
    Maybe a diagram would help I'm not really sure. I think I would need a little more information about your scenario to try and help.

Good Luck.
  • theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can do Inter-VLAN Routing (1 Router + 1 Switch), OSPF, EIGRP, HSRP, VRRP, and pretty much any routing (to play with STP, you'd need at least 1 more switch) that doesn't require a serial connection (e.g. Frame Relay, PPP, HDLC).

[EDIT] You can also plug the switch into your computer and connect your live equipment into GNS3 to add routers on the fly.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • JeanMJeanM Member Posts: 1,117
    OP - When did you get your CCNA R&S / Voice / Security and Wireless ?
    2015 goals - ccna voice / vmware vcp.
  • xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Haha, my thought too.

I hope this is a mistake and this is what he wants to study..
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • sendalotsendalot Member Posts: 328
    xnx wrote: »
    Haha, my thought too.

I hope this is a mistake and this is what he wants to study..

I have a memory of a fish.

Got R&S 2 years ago and Security 6 months ago, Wireless 2 months ago and Voice a month ago.
    I'm on CCNP R&S but I suddenly had this question but didn't have the patience to think hard.