Options

L3 to L2 trunking

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hi guys,

I always thought that if you want say a L3 3550 switch om say port 1 to connection to say port 1 on a L2 2950 switch the port config would be something like this:

3550:

interface fastethernet 0/1
switchport access vlan 100
switchport mode dynamic desirable

2950:
switchport mode trunk

but I'm sure I'm doing it wrong becasue I can get the link from coming up for down on both ends of the link; if i plug both ports into a unused port on he Procurve switch port boths come up so I know they work.... What am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

I'm basically wanting to get the 2950's vlan of 100 to connect to the 3550 so I can route the traffic through the router's. I've been making the network in reverse from the routers to the L3's and now to the L2's and the trunking between the L3's and L2's is my current hurdle.

Comments

• Options
    PutneyPutney Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you're only using VLAN 100 you could just set them both to access ports.

switchport mode access
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I always thought that if you want say a L3 3550 switch om say port 1 to connection to say port 1 on a L2 2950 switch the port config would be something like this:

3550:

2950:
    switchport mode trunk

but I'm sure I'm doing it wrong becasue I can get the link from coming up for down on both ends of the link; if i plug both ports into a unused port on he Procurve switch port boths come up so I know they work.... What am I doing wrong? icon_sad.gif

I'm basically wanting to get the 2950's vlan of 100 to connect to the 3550 so I can route the traffic through the router's. I've been making the network in reverse from the routers to the L3's and now to the L2's and the trunking between the L3's and L2's is my current hurdle.

Let's start with this: Why do you have these ports configured with the "access vlan" command? Why "desirable" on the 3550? What kind of cable are you using for this connection?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Let's start with this: Why do you have these ports configured with the "access vlan" command? Why "desirable" on the 3550? What kind of cable are you using for this connection?

Well Mr. Murry icon_bounce.gif I'm using normal cat5e cable as uplinks. As for access vlan 100; I'm using that to assign the ports to vlan 100; I don't want them to all be trunks so to me 'access' just means it resides on that vlan as a normal port you can plug anything into it like a laptop and as-long as dhcp is on that vlan it will get a IP, that to me is 'access'.

Let me counter your question with when would dynamic desirable and auto be used?

I also think I've made my home lab too complicated! .. if that's even possible.

I have 3 L3's (2 3550's and 1 3750) each L3 has 3 L2 2950 connected to it and then each L3 switch has a cat5e uplink to the fa0/1 connection on a inter-vlan 2600 router. Then all 3 of the 2600 routers have a OSPF connection between them with a primary serial connection to 2 1721 routers and then both of the 1721 router have a uplink (acting as a MPLS) to another 1721 that connects to the core MDF a HP Procurve.

.... Little did I know on a flowchart it looks relatively straight forward but getting into the CLi it's al ittle more interesting.... I got 50% of it done, on the routing aspect and to the L3 switches but boy has it been a long day! ....

... I'm sure this really overkill for the CCENT/CCNA exam but I really wanted to understand this all well; but something are still hard for me like when to use dynamic desirable and auto and the whole nat inside and nat outside that's still interesting to me...
  • Options
    Well Mr. Murry icon_bounce.gif I'm using normal cat5e cable as uplinks. As for access vlan 100; I'm using that to assign the ports to vlan 100; I don't want them to all be trunks so to me 'access' just means it resides on that vlan as a normal port you can plug anything into it like a laptop and as-long as dhcp is on that vlan it will get a IP, that to me is 'access'. How can F0/1 on the 2950 be an access port when you have entered the command "switchport mode trunk"? It's either one or the other, there is no mixing the two. So how do you fix that problem?

Let me counter your question with when would dynamic desirable and auto be used? You would NEVER use that in a production environment. The port should either be an access port or a trunk port.

I also think I've made my home lab too complicated! .. if that's even possible. It's possibe, congrats! lol Don't fret, it happens..

In bold above, also do you see a link light on both F0/1 ports? Why not? What kind of cable do you have? There is no 'L3 to L2" trunking, trunking is a L2 feature. You will later delve into things like L3 Etherchannels but that is something else all together.

You are simply looking to trunk two switches together and allow various VLANS across the trunk links.

• Options
    In bold above, also do you see a link light on both F0/1 ports? Why not? What kind of cable do you have? There is no 'L3 to L2" trunking, trunking is a L2 feature. You will later delve into things like L3 Etherchannels but that is something else all together.

You are simply looking to trunk two switches together and allow various VLANS across the trunk links.

Let me ask this: - on the 2950 if you use 'switchport mode trunk' on fa0/1 wouldn't you need to use 'switchport mode access vlan 100' to assign vlan 100 to that port? - that's my logic, if that logic is wrong please do correct me; learning cisco now so I don't want to get into bad habits...

as to the activity lights, nope they don't have any activity lights on either on the ports; wait is that a trick question... icon_bounce.gif

if you never use dynamic desirable and auto why does Cisco make you learn them; what point do they serve?
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A trunk port is used to carry "multiple" VLAN's

If you have a trunk port on SW1 and that port is connected to SW2, then SW2's port must be a trunk as well. You cannot configure an access port on the other side.

I'd go read up on trunk ports myself if I were you ;)

Dynamic Desirable and Auto and DTP in general is an important feature of L2 that Cisco tests on -even at CCIE level. Dynamic Desirable is a horrible default on the 3550 btw.
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    RouteMyPacket is trying to nudge you in a different direction because while the config looks unusual, it should technically still work.
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Nothing too complicated about trunks.. Both ends must be a trunk and you can use the allowed trunk setting to set the VLANs that are allowed across it. Also you can set the native VLAN for which untagged frames will be carried across.
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    Let me ask this: -
    No, it's time for you to read. Cisco has a massive amount of docs online and configuration guides. You have to get use to googling for what you need, you will do that all throughout your career.

as to the activity lights, nope they don't have any activity lights on either on the ports; wait is that a trick question... Just looking at the older switches you have, wondering if another type of cable may need to be used?

if you never use dynamic desirable and auto why does Cisco make you learn them; what point do they serve? Why do they make you learn Frame Relay, or RIP for that matter. It's revisionist history. FYI, yes Frame Relay can still be found but it's no longer common.

In bold, come on..let's see you work this out.

• Options
    In bold, come on..let's see you work this out.

Well I think I figured it out, i looked back on my notes in my notebook; there is so much to remember for the CCNA so I will admit I'm having a hard time remembering it all... But I think this is how the config should look....kind of silly for me to post it; but meh it's just more easing if you just ask a question, seeing others responces is relaxing.

Question 1:

Cisco 3550 L3
    int f1/0/1
    swtichport mode trunk
    Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 100

Cisco 2950 L2
    Int f1/0/1
    swtichport mode trunk

Question 2:

I think I catch what you mean; it's like a riddle ot figure some of your qustions out; do you mean if I have any crossover cables? - I'm thinking that the 2950's don't have Auto-mdix cause if they did a normal cat5e would work; is that what you mean? I should use a crossover cable?

Question 3:

Well I never knew that, see I'm new to the Cisco world so go easy on me; I'm still learning what is book smarts and what is real-world application. I guess though all of the concepts play a part in the great scheme I thing I hope. Would really suck to learn how to make a nuclear bomb but then never use it, lol ... if you understand the analogy. :)
  • Options
    Well I think I figured it out, i looked back on my notes in my notebook; there is so much to remember for the CCNA so I will admit I'm having a hard time remembering it all... But I think this is how the config should look....kind of silly for me to post it; but meh it's just more easing if you just ask a question, seeing others responces is relaxing.

Question 1:

Cisco 3550 L3
    int f1/0/1
    swtichport mode trunk
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 100 Why are you using this command? Why use this and not leave it default?

Cisco 2950 L2
    Int f1/0/1
    swtichport mode trunk
    Switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q Are you sure this command is right?
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 100 Again, why use this command?

Question 2:

I think I catch what you mean; it's like a riddle ot figure some of your qustions out; do you mean if I have any crossover cables? - I'm thinking that the 2950's don't have Auto-mdix cause if they did a normal cat5e would work; is that what you mean? I should use a crossover cable? Boom, Bingo, Yes and Yes!

Question 3:

Well I never knew that, see I'm new to the Cisco world so go easy on me; I'm still learning what is book smarts and what is real-world application. I guess though all of the concepts play a part in the great scheme I thing I hope. Would really suck to learn how to make a nuclear bomb but then never use it, lol ... if you understand the analogy. :)This is why I advise to use certification as a supplement to experience and not the other way around. Not that it can't be done but it avoids some of the thing you are running into. It's easier to spot the "fluff" in the texts etc IMO when you have been working in the field.

In Bold

• Options
    In Bold

Well I'm finding you don't need encapsulation on the L2 switch, it doesn't allow me to apply it anyways. and the dynamic desirable goes away is i use encapsulation on the L3 switch so that's neat to know.

would this be needed: 'switchport trunk allowed vlan 100' to tell this port to accept traffic over this port from a different switch on vlan 100?

however could this be why now I'm getting this:

2950 L2:
    interface Vlan100
    ip address 192.168.102.10 255.255.255.0
    ip helper-address 192.168.102.100
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    --More--
    01:01:04: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0/1 because of VTP domain mismatch.
    01:01:05: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    01:01:07: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    01:02:46: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    01:02:47: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    01:03:13: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0/1 because of VTP domain mismatch.
    01:03:14: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    01:03:16: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

3550 L3:

interface FastEthernet0/1
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 200
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/2
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    --More--
    *Mar 1 00:53:31.579: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthern et0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:53:31.579: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, c hanged state to down
    *Mar 1 00:53:32.583: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state t o down
    *Mar 1 00:53:59.779: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state t o up
    *Mar 1 00:54:01.787: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthern et0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:54:31.787: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, c hanged sinterface FastEthernet0/3
    switchport access vlan 80
    switchport mode access

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#ping 192.168.102.10

Type escape sequence to abort.
    Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.102.10, timeout is 2 seconds:
    Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#

it's kind of funny this is the vlan 100 setup I'm doing now but the other 2950 with vlan 200 is now working fine and it's the exact same config. so I'm curious how the frig I'm getting a VTP mismatch! ... I'm pretty VTP is the protocol that shares vlan across ther switches but I could be wrong...

btw, ordered 8 more crossover cables.... see how these 2950 suck ass and I'll probably never use them past the CCNA and get all 3550's and above....
  • Options
    Number one rule when consoling into a new switch, verify VTP

Do a "sh vtp status" ands paste it here

• Options
    well I just did this, since I remember doing the vtp server/client config but this thing is being a pain.....

But I think I just had a eureka moment.... for some bloody reason vlan1 wasn't shutdown....

2950:

2950-102.0#config t
    Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
    2950-102.0(config)#vtp mode client
    Setting device to VTP CLIENT mode.
    2950-102.0(config)#vtp domain smith-lan
    Changing VTP domain name from in60days to smith-lan
    2950-102.0(config)#
    2950-102.0(config)#
    2950-102.0(config)#
    2950-102.0(config)#
    01:19:31: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, chang ed state to down
    01:19:32: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    01:19:39: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0 /1 because of VTP domain mismatch.
    01:19:40: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    01:19:42: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, chang ed state to up
    2950-102.0#
    01:20:04: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#sho
    01:22:03: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolew config
    Using 2605 out of 32768 bytes
    !
    version 12.1
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    no service password-encryption
    !
    hostname 2950-102.0
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$qDzR$PSXJwgXoykOM1UFF.RRO5/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    spanning-tree extend system-id
    !
    !
    !
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/3
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/4
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/5
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/6
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/7
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/8
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/9
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/10
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/11
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/12
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/13
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/14
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/15
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/16
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/17
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/18
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/19
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/20
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/21
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/22
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/23
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface FastEthernet0/24
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface Vlan1
    ip address 192.168.110.3 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    !
    interface Vlan2
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan100
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    !
    ip http server
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
    login
    line vty 5 15
    login
    !
    !
    end

2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#inter vlan1
    2950-102.0(config-if)#shutdown
    2950-102.0(config-if)#exit
    2950-102.0(config)#
    01:22:31: %LINK-5-CHANGED: Interface Vlan1, changed state to administratively downinter vlan100
    2950-102.0(config-if)#no shutdown
    2950-102.0(config-if)#
    01:22:48: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    01:22:49: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    2950-102.0(config-if)#
    2950-102.0(config-if)#
    2950-102.0#
    01:23:25: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    2950-102.0#copy running-config st
    2950-102.0#copy running-config startup-config
    Destination filename [startup-config]?
    Building configuration...
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#sh vtp status
    VTP Version : 2
    Configuration Revision : 0
    Maximum VLANs supported locally : 128
    Number of existing VLANs : 9
    VTP Operating Mode : Client
    VTP Domain Name : smith-lan
    VTP Pruning Mode : Disabled
    VTP V2 Mode : Disabled
    VTP Traps Generation : Disabled
    MD5 digest : 0xDA 0xBE 0x1A 0xCF 0xF6 0x5D 0x64 0x74
    Configuration last modified by 192.168.102.12 at 3-1-93 01:38:49
    2950-102.0#copy
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#
    01:29:53: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    01:29:54: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    01:29:59: %DTP-5-DOMAINMISMATCH: Unable to perform trunk negotiation on port Fa0/1 because of VTP domain mismatch.
    01:30:00: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    01:30:02: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

3550:

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#show config
    Using 2814 out of 393216 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    !
    hostname Cisco-3550-LAN-1
    !
    !
    no aaa new-model
    ip subnet-zero
    ip routing
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    !
    vlan internal allocation policy ascending
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 80
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan80
    ip address 172.16.7.10 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan100
    ip address 192.168.102.11 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan200
    ip address 192.168.104.11 255.255.255.0
    !
    ip classless
    ip http server
    ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 5 15
    !
    end

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#config t
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#vtp mode server
    Device mode already VTP SERVER.
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#vtp domain simth-lan
    Changing VTP domain name from sd to simth-lan
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#
    *Mar 1 01:09:53.627: %SW_VLAN-6-VTP_DOMAIN_NAME_CHG: VTP domain name changed to simth-lan.
    *Mar 1 01:10:16.635: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:10:16.635: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:10:17.639: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:10:25.955: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 01:10:27.963: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 01:10:57.963: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 01:16:56.871: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:16:56.871: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:16:57.879: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 01:17:09.671: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 01:17:11.679: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 01:17:41.679: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#show vtp status
    ^
    % Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#exit
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#s
    *Mar 1 01:17:57.359: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolehow vtp status
    VTP Version : running VTP1 (VTP2 capable)
    Maximum VLANs supported locally : 1005
    Number of existing VLANs : 11
    VTP Operating Mode : Server
    VTP Domain Name : simth-lan
    MD5 digest : 0x95 0x0B 0x89 0x34 0xC0 0x7B 0xC2 0xA0
    Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-1-93 00:08:51
    Local updater ID is 192.168.102.11 on interface Vl100 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
  • Options
    2950-102.0#sh vtp status

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#s
    *Mar 1 01:17:57.359: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolehow vtp status

Ok, so now that we see the output, what is the problem? How do you fix it?

• Options
    not going ot quote you or else we'll take up forum data space real quick but....

I'm thinking I need to clean the vlan.config file? or something like that? ... am I hot or cold?

...or enable VTP2? icon_bounce.gif

here is the other 2950 and it's working fine:

Cisco-2950-104.0#show vtp status
    Maximum VLANs supported locally : 250
    Number of existing VLANs : 7
    VTP Operating Mode : Transparent
    VTP Domain Name :
    MD5 digest : 0x70 0x29 0x0E 0xCA 0x7C 0x2F 0x4B 0xA3
    Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 0-0-00 00:00:00
    Cisco-2950-104.0#
  • Options
    Ask yourself, what is VTP? How does it function? Why is it configured? I see the 3550 is a "Server" and the 2950 is a "Client", what does that mean?

I dare say you didn't configure this but it's good exercise.

• Options
    I actually did configure it; I thought the 2950 L2 should be the client and the 3550 L3 should be the server.

To me, the VTP server has the primary list of all of the vlans and such and then shares with list with all of the switches that are clients...

would it be fair to say if i changed them all to transparent they will work? ... need to find my book to see what the frig the difference is between transparent and client, I could be getting the terminology confused.
  • Options
    Take a look again at your VTP status on your 3550 and 2950, something seems off between the two. Something doesn't match does it?

• Options
    Take a look again at your VTP status on your 3550 and 2950, something seems off between the two. Something doesn't match does it?

yes, the amount of vlans.

I've never purged vlan from nvram, how do i purge the list?

... i mean i could just google it, but :rolls eyes:
  • Options
    Nope, what is required to make VTP function? VTP information has to match right? How can VTP function if the domain is different?

• Options
    Nope, what is required to make VTP function? VTP information has to match right? How can VTP function if the domain is different?

ugh .... really... I cant even spell my own last name right... friggin aaaaa....

frig now it works; i'm going to the store to get a case of beer; i'm too sober for this now ;)
  • Options
    ugh .... really... I cant even spell my own last name right... friggin aaaaa....

frig now it works; i'm going to the store to get a case of beer; i'm too sober for this now ;)

LMAO! You're welcome!

• Options
    LMAO! You're welcome!

Round 2. ended up turning on the VMware cluster after returning with beer, opened the bottle but got so tied up with VMware labbing I still have the full bottle which is now in the fridge.

Anyways back to the Cisco labbing this morning; I seem to now have a MD5 checksum error and to me clearly both of the switches have a slightly different checksum; anyone know the process to correct this now? - I like the fact things are breaking I can see what can go wrong. I hate it when things always work....

2950:

2950-102.0#show vtp status
    MD5 digest : 0x94 0xB7 0x09 0x63 0x34 0x98 0x72 0x83
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#vtp moce client
    ^

2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#
    00:06:14: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#
    00:07:13: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:07:14: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:07:20: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    00:07:22: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up

3550:

Cisco-3550-LAN-1>enable
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:04:41.043: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:04:41.043: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:04:42.047: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:04:44.163: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:04:48.091: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#show vtp status
    MD5 digest : 0x95 0x0B 0x89 0x34 0xC0 0x7B 0xC2 0xA0
    Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-1-93 00:08:51
    Local updater ID is 0.0.0.0 (no valid interface found)
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:05:18.091: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#config t
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#vtp domain smith-lan
    Changing VTP domain name from simth-lan to smith-lan
    *Mar 1 00:05:47.947: %SW_VLAN-6-VTP_DOMAIN_NAME_CHG: VTP domain name changed to smith-lan.
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(config)#exit
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:05:57.715: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consolecopy
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy ru
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy running-config st
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy running-config startup-config
    [OK]
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:06:18.663: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:18.663: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:19.667: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:25.263: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:06:27.271: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:06:31.363: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: Fa0/2

*Mar 1 00:06:57.271: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up

What's next; while a response is formulate, off to google....icon_study.gif
  • Options
    xnxxnx Member Posts: 464 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Restart VTP on the client switch or Switch between modes on the VTP client (client>trans>client) and it should work - apparently...
    Getting There ...

Lab Equipment: Using Cisco CSRs and 4 Switches currently
  • Options
    well I think I got it, now to learn why the frig changing it from vtp version 1 to 2 made the MD5 checksum error go away....

and now I got a different issue why the vlans are showing up as "NULL"

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:06:18.663: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:18.663: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:19.667: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:06:25.263: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:06:27.271: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:06:31.363: %SW_VLAN-4-VTP_USER_NOTIFICATION: VTP protocol user notification: MD5 digest checksum mismatch on receipt of equal revision summary on trunk: Fa0/2

*Mar 1 00:06:57.271: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#vlan database
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,
    as VLAN database mode is being deprecated. Please consult user
    documentation for configuring VTP/VLAN in config mode.

Cisco-3550-LAN-1(vlan)#vtp v2-mode
    V2 mode enabled.
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1(vlan)#exit
    APPLY completed.
    Exiting....
    VTP Version : running VTP2
    Configuration Revision : 1
    VTP V2 Mode : Enabled
    MD5 digest : 0x17 0xF2 0x7E 0x06 0x79 0x0D 0xE3 0xD2
    *** MD5 digest checksum mismatch on trunk: Fa0/2 ***
    Configuration last modified by 192.168.102.11 at 3-1-93 00:15:45
    Local updater ID is 192.168.102.11 on interface Vl100 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:16:17.931: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:16:17.931: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:16:18.935: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy ru
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy running-config st
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#copy running-config startup-config
    [OK]
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:16:33.059: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:16:35.067: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:17:05.067: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    VTP Version : running VTP2
    Configuration Revision : 1
    MD5 digest : 0x17 0xF2 0x7E 0x06 0x79 0x0D 0xE3 0xD2
    Configuration last modified by 192.168.102.11 at 3-1-93 00:15:45
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    *Mar 1 00:18:15.643: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:18:15.643: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:18:16.647: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to down
    *Mar 1 00:18:23.323: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    *Mar 1 00:18:25.331: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/2, changed state to up
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#show vlan
    *Mar 1 00:18:55.331: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan100, changed state to upstatus
    ^

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#show vlan

VLAN Name Status Ports
    ----

1 default active Fa0/1, Fa0/13, Fa0/24, Gi0/1
    Gi0/2
    2 VLAN0002 active
    3 VLAN0003 active
    80 VLAN0080 active Fa0/3, Fa0/4, Fa0/5, Fa0/6
    Fa0/7, Fa0/8, Fa0/9, Fa0/10
    Fa0/11, Fa0/12, Fa0/14, Fa0/15
    Fa0/16, Fa0/17, Fa0/18, Fa0/19
    Fa0/20, Fa0/21, Fa0/22, Fa0/23
    100 NULL active
    200 VLAN0200 active
    500 VLAN0500 active
    1002 fddi-default act/unsup
    1003 trcrf-default act/unsup
    1004 fddinet-default act/unsup
    1005 trbrf-default act/unsup

VLAN Type SAID MTU Parent RingNo BridgeNo Stp BrdgMode Trans1 Trans2
    ----

----

1 enet 100001 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    2 enet 100002 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    3 enet 100003 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    80 enet 100080 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    100 enet 100100 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    200 enet 100200 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    500 enet 100500 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    1002 fddi 101002 1500 - - - - - 0 0
    1003 trcrf 101003 4472 1005 3276 - - srb 0 0
    1004 fdnet 101004 1500 - - - ieee - 0 0
    1005 trbrf 101005 4472 - - 15 ibm - 0 0

VLAN AREHops STEHops Backup CRF
    ----

1003 0 0 off

Remote SPAN VLANs

Primary Secondary Type Ports

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
  • Options
    well I think I figured it out. Basically change the name of a vlan on the 3550 and then saved the config and change the 2950 (cleint) from client to transparent to reset the counter to 0, then saved the config, then reset the switch to transparent, did a vlan database command and force vtp-2 to be used, save it and then changed it back to client and now it seems to be working.

2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#show vtp status
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#vtp mode transparent
    ^

2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#vtp mode transparent
    Setting device to VTP TRANSPARENT mode.
    2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#cop
    00:31:02: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoley
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#copy
    00:31:20: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by console
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#show vtp st
    2950-102.0#
    00:31:51: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:31:52: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:31:56: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    00:31:58: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#vlan database
    % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,

2950-102.0(vlan)#vtp v2-mode
    V2 mode enabled.
    2950-102.0(vlan)#exit
    In CLIENT state, no apply attempted.
    Exiting....
    2950-102.0#copy
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#vtp mode transparent
    Setting device to VTP TRANSPARENT mode.
    2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#config t
    00:34:49: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console byvlan database % Warning: It is recommended to configure VLAN from config mode,

2950-102.0(vlan)#vtp v2-mode
    V2 mode enabled.
    2950-102.0(vlan)#exit
    APPLY completed.
    Exiting....
    2950-102.0#config t
    2950-102.0(config)#exit
    2950-102.0#c
    00:35:13: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by consoleopy
    2950-102.0#copy ru
    [OK]
    2950-102.0#show vtp st
    MD5 digest : 0xB8 0xDB 0x52 0x6E 0x01 0xD2 0x51 0x0C
    Configuration last modified by 192.168.102.10 at 0-0-00 00:00:00
    2950-102.0#
    00:35:42: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:35:43: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to down
    00:35:48: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    00:35:50: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface FastEthernet0/1, changed state to up
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#show config
    Using 2605 out of 32768 bytes
    !
    version 12.1
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug uptime
    service timestamps log uptime
    !
    hostname 2950-102.0
    !
    enable secret 5 $1$qDzR$PSXJwgXoykOM1UFF.RRO5/
    !
    ip subnet-zero
    !
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    no spanning-tree optimize bpdu transmission
    !
    !
    !
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    interface Vlan1
    ip address 192.168.110.3 255.255.255.0
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan2
    no ip address
    no ip route-cache
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan100
    no ip route-cache
    !
    ip http server
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
    login
    line vty 5 15
    login
    !
    !
    end

2950-102.0#
    2950-102.0#ping 192.168.102.10

!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/2/4 ms
    2950-102.0#ping 192.168.102.11

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 192.168.102.11, timeout is 2 seconds:
    !!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/203/1000 ms

!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/5/12 ms

!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 4/4/4 ms
    2950-102.0#

3550:

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#show config
    Using 3142 out of 393216 bytes
    !
    version 12.2
    no service pad
    service timestamps debug datetime msec
    service timestamps log datetime msec
    !
    hostname Cisco-3550-LAN-1
    !
    !
    no aaa new-model
    ip subnet-zero
    ip routing
    !
    !
    !
    crypto pki trustpoint TP-self-signed-3289515776
    enrollment selfsigned
    subject-name cn=IOS-Self-Signed-Certificate-3289515776
    revocation-check none
    rsakeypair TP-self-signed-3289515776
    !
    !
    crypto pki certificate chain TP-self-signed-3289515776
    certificate self-signed 01 nvram:IOS-Self-Sig#3601.cer
    !
    !
    spanning-tree mode pvst
    !
    vlan internal allocation policy ascending
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport mode access
    !
    switchport trunk allowed vlan 80
    switchport mode trunk
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/1
    !
    interface GigabitEthernet0/2
    !
    interface Vlan1
    no ip address
    shutdown
    !
    interface Vlan80
    description "to-cisco-2600-R3"
    ip address 172.16.7.10 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan100
    ip address 192.168.102.11 255.255.255.0
    !
    interface Vlan200
    ip address 192.168.104.11 255.255.255.0
    !
    ip classless
    ip route 192.168.106.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.7.9
    ip route 192.168.108.0 255.255.255.0 172.16.7.9
    !
    !
    ip http server
    ip http secure-server
    !
    !
    !
    control-plane
    !
    !
    line con 0
    line vty 0 4
    login
    line vty 5 15
    login
    !
    end

Cisco-3550-LAN-1#
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#ping 192.168.102.11

!!!!!
    Success rate is 100 percent (5/5), round-trip min/avg/max = 1/1/4 ms

!!!!!

!!!!!
    Cisco-3550-LAN-1#

now to go deal with my girlfriend, I just told her that figuring this out is like better than sex (kind of stupid on my part crash.gif ) so now I need to make it up to her.... icon_bounce.gif
  • Options
    mikeybinecmikeybinec Member Posts: 484 ■■■□□□□□□□

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too funny. Yeah, that VTP is a hidden bug sometimes. Changing domain names and server to client or client doesnt seem to help. The console vtp error message keeps popping up. I just do del vlan.dat and then reload the switch
    Cisco NetAcad Cuyamaca College
    A.S. LAN Management 2010 Grossmont College
    B.S. I.T. Management 2013 National University