vSphere lab for VMware related role

jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
As some know, I finally resigned.

I personally found the technical test all candidates have to sit at my current job, stupid, so I offered to create a lab which can be used to test my potential replacement in day to day VMware related "stuff".

The role will be VMware related (including vCloud Director). Anyone done this before ? I wonder what else I can "break" :p

So what does the lab look like

Backend
1. Virtual Router (vShield Edge) - to make sure the lab is sandboxed
2. DC (also jumpbox into the environment)
3. 4x ESXi virtual hosts
4. NFS Server
5. vCloud Director Cell
6. vCenter Appliance
7. vShield Manager (for the vShield Edge).

Frontend - aka "candidate" area
- One vCenter
- One Datacenter
- Two Clusters

Task #1 using 1st Cluster
The candidate will be asked to add two hosts to the cluster and enable DRS / HA. As additional "Bonus" I ask them to move the hosts to the already existing vDS. Each virtual host has 4 NICs but by default the host has just one standard switch with one uplink and only one vmk (management). It will be up to the client how to distribute the lot (obviously gets all details re vlans, ips etc.)

Task #2 using 2nd Cluster
Cluster is configured (same cluster is used for vCloud Director) but one host doesn't see the NFS datastore. So it will be up to him how to fix it / search for it. Having said that - I created an alert for the NFS datastore so it should be apparent what's wrong.

Task #3 vCloud Director
Again, all details are given and I will ask to create an organization, and organization vdc, create a direct connected org network and deploy a VM from the catalog, connecting it to the newly created network (wanted to make em creating a routed network but that might be ott).

Oh and because IT = Google. The candidate will have internet access from the jump box.

NOW the question. For Task #2 - is there anything else I could break ? I don't want to go OTT, but a missing datastore seems too easy :p I will also ask a colleague "with VMware exposure" to run through the lab so I am getting an unbiased time frame how long that should take.
My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p

Comments

• The NihilistThe Nihilist Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think on the whole job interviews are based on being able to extract what you want to hear from potential candidates and seeing how they respond when you put them in a difficult place technically.

This takes it one step further, and allows them to demonstrably bring their CV to life by completeing tasks - it's a great idea.
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just hard not to get too OTT :D
  • kj0kj0 Member Posts: 767
    This takes it one step further, and allows them to demonstrably bring their CV to life by completeing tasks - it's a great idea.
    I had one interview that was probably my 4th in a month, that ended up being my first where I have ever had to whiteboard a scenario and what I would do. It was on firewalling, which I've never had to do in any of my previous jobs in the regards to the scenario they gave me. I worked through it, and i think part of it which fizzled my layout and thoughts were the fact I had never whiteboarded in an interview. Still made through to second round.

One of the earlier interviews that I had done was the first where I had to sit a test, unfortunately, that one asked too many questions on HP specific gear such as lefthand storage.

Now having faced both of those, the last interview went really well knowing that I could either be hit with an exam, or a whiteboarding session. Having something like this to demonstrate how you would do something is a much better way to grasp how someone would work.

I am yet to face an interview where they get you to show your skills by performing the tasks they want you to perform day to day.
    2017 Goals: VCP6-DCV | VCIX
    Blog: https://readysetvirtual.wordpress.com
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well, lab went well, my replacement hired .. job done :D