Options

To Do lists

DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
What do people use as a to do list on a daily basics?

I have a share point site for project management

and outlook tasks for major tasks I need to keep on top or, as well as a change management system.

but for day to day stuff I still use a pen and paper, to note down in meetings, when I am on the phone and a general todo list that I start afresh each day. Jsut the list of things I am doing today, and things I need to write up or remember.

you know some thing as basic as this http://adminotts.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Sheet-1.jpg

I feel like this is behind the times and I need an electronic version that works across all my devices, I also want to be able to record what I have done.

Any one have any favourite bits of software, that must work on windows/OS and Android?

Cheers
  • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
  • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Todoist & a chart in Excel...

I haven't used Todoist in while now as the Excel sheet is fine for me at the moment.

ToDoChart.jpg

4 squares:
    1 - Urgent and important (Now)
    2 - Not urgent but important (Next)
    3 - Urgent but not important (Delay)
    4 - Not urgent and not important (Avoid)

That's how I do it anyways...
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I've been starting to mess around with WorkFlowy as a to do type list. Not bad so far, but the free version is limited if you make a lot of notes.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    DyasisDyasis Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Excel? Or just a spreadsheet in general...
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Evernote with checkboxes, here's this week (sanitized)... not the most efficient but great because I can take notes in a meeting on an iPad with it. I need to rework it though.

Must Get Done This Week

ASAP:

[ ]Jabber/VDI/Webex banners/articles for TechTalk
    [ ]exin ITIL cert
    [ ]cisco tac case
    [ ]update techtalk
    [ ]calendafr invites for courses
    [ ]Ironport - upgrade DRS box
    [ ]write mem on firewalls
    [ ]trend won't activate
    [X]safe and secure online materials
    [X]NAISG - Dallas
    [ ]good on Surface
    [ ]Ironport Yutube channel exemption
    [ ]Cisco TAC - debug dap trace
    [ ]alerts on Trend Micro
    [ ]GSLC spreadsheet
    [ ]Matt's schedules - add to Calendar
    [ ]research Algosec/other options
    [ ]Bonnie: postini whitelist domain names
    [ ]Matt - AnyConnect

Bri and Andrew wedding stuff
    Bonnie - yahoo email for testing?

Mon:

[ ]Update TechTalk - ref other note for ideas for new sections, etc

Tues:

[ ]Research ISSMP cert w/ VA, training materials? PMP? Challenge GSLC?
    [ ]Work on Budget
    [ ]schedule meeting on wed for Thurs trip
    [ ]

Wed:

[ ]download MS books from link
    [ ]hotel reservations - Dallas trip
    [ ]begin compiling jabber/webex information

Thurs:

[ ]CCB meeting - 11:30
    [ ]research CPP cert - materials??

Fri:

[ ]Clean up desktop
    [ ]check on Trend
    [ ]clear off desk
    [ ]prepare Evernote for next week
    [ ]Try to get Budget completed

Schedule As Soon As Practical:

[ ]Research some kind of mentoring program for career management/training plan
    [ ]Update Small Business Security Guide
    [ ]Can the Ironport acknowledgment screen background color be changed?
    [ ]Call John
    [ ]LinkedIn research for TechTalk articles
    [ ]Back up TechTalk
    [ ]Update about.me
    [ ]research/plan security talk
    [ ]Look into video software for recording AnyConnect walkthrough - bookmarked, need Apple Air?
    [ ]Pluralsight review /CBTNuggets
    [ ]Clear out bookmarks
    [ ]Discuss Ironport update w/ Brian
    [ ]Discuss IOS code upgrade w/Brian - hold off until August

Talk to Boss about:

[ ]need to budget anyconnect for DR site (from Ty?)
    [ ]Need a push to close out old iSupport tickets - do I need to start a campaign/stats, etc to get the ball rolling?

Home:

[ ]Reservations for SecureWorld Expo, Securing the Human, plus hotel reservations
    [ ]Birthday card for Pop
    [ ]Hotel Reservations for Dallas
    [ ]WGU
    [ ]
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    TrifidwTrifidw Member Posts: 281
    I use notepad.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I simply use the Sticky Notes from Windows and Outlook for reminders.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have a dry erase board I use for bigger things, most others I use the help desk ticketing software for. If I've got a lot to do, it all goes in my notepad (physical notepad, legal size).
  • Options
    Trouble with most of these like Excel and note books (what I use at the moment) is that they are not very mobile to other devices. Also find this with the whiteboard, dosen't fold up and fit in the back pack very well.

Sharepoint works great for project management, much nicer than excel, and for changes and incident theirs a perfectly good ticketing system.

Buts it a replacement for the Physical notepad I am looking for that syncs across devices. I might look at todoist again, but I was wondering if any one had other similar solutions.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • Options
    NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Trello - works on my iPhone and my desktop and can share with my supervisor easily. One card for each major task with sub-tasks as checklist items. My supervisor can tell instantly where I'm at on each project right from his mobile device.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Evernote, evernote, evernote! I have it on my computer, phone, and ipads, and they sync seamlessly.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Trifidw wrote: »
    I use notepad.

obso1337.
  • Options
  • Options
    ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST

not knocking it, notepad++ is what I prefer ;)
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I use Notes in iOS since that syncs between my phone and tablet. Before that I was spending more time learning the ins and outs of productivity applications I wasn't getting much done.
  • Options
    philz1982philz1982 Member Posts: 978
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    I am purely Old School, I use Word, write down what I need to do and cross it off when done, carry everything I havent done over to the following week.. Efficient? Probably not.. Does it work for me? Yes...
  • Options
    tpatt100 wrote: »
    I use Notes in iOS since that syncs between my phone and tablet. Before that I was spending more time learning the ins and outs of productivity applications I wasn't getting much done.

Android phone, IPAD, windows desktop and others. This is the issue I have with a lot of ideas, they are only optimised on some devices.
  • Options
    That is why I prioritize my To-Do list... I don't think it makes a lot of sense to carry every to-do-list item around with you... "Oh, yes I must climb Mt. Kilimanjaro" !! :)

That's why I take a few tasks with me for the week and then leave others on the Excel sheet... like I say the Excel sheet is fine for what I need at the moment but when I'm out and about Todoist is what I used to manage items across iPhone & Nexus 7 & Laptop.

I will add I am an Excel nutcase, I've everything in Excel. But I agree it's not the most mobile of solutions.
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've been starting to mess around with WorkFlowy as a to do type list. Not bad so far, but the free version is limited if you make a lot of notes.

I like this..I will be playing around with it.
  • Options
    Just a follow up :)

Todoist won, I just wish other people at work would use it as well so we could share projects.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does 'Trying to remember the tasks and prioritize when people start to shout', count?

BTW. Cozi.com ain't too bad. Nice widgets for mobile devices too.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Does 'Trying to remember the tasks and prioritize when people start to shout', count?

I sue it more as "I told you about this 4 months ago, and ever week since and you did nothing, so stop trying to pin this one on me!" :)
  • Options
    ObdurateObdurate Member Posts: 108
    I feel old fashioned! I use a paper and pencil planner from plannerpad.com

For not other reason I can open it up to the current day without waiting for Wi-Fi to catch up and I tend to write a whole lot of things I want to do, try, finish or poke a stick at.

Obdurate~
  • Options
    REMOVED UNNECESSARY QUOTED REPLY FROM PREVIOUS POST
    honestly I still use pen and paper for a lot, there nothing better than paper for scribbling down a digram or notes. And a diary is great for keeping track or projects that are lasting months / years. But I was finding that paper was just getting to complicated when I needed to reorganise, and the sync time is next to nothing, in fact I never notice a delay between my devices.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Word Tables - I have to admit todoist looks pretty sweet.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mostly in my head. For recurring stuff I use Outlook events.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I like this..I will be playing around with it.

Well timed bump....just today I upgraded to pro at workflowy. I love it for note taking and organizing categories that I need to work on for the ccna.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I use the calendar on Outlook for my day to day tasks and projects. Then, I share it with everyone I work with so they know what I'm working on.
  • Options
    Chivalry1Chivalry1 Member Posts: 569
    Microsoft OneNote has been the best virtual planner / to-do-list application for me. Works across multiple platforms. I also use my Outlook task heavily as well. These days its a must for me to stay as organized as possible.
    "The recipe for perpetual ignorance is: be satisfied with your opinions and
    content with your knowledge. " Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)