Options

1841 wont save running config

--chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
I configured the router last night when I was tired, tested it and ran through the running config a few times looking for the key points. It was good, I did a write command and seen it complete. I moved onto another 1841 thats going into the lab, configured it, tested it and verified it. Did a write command, watched it finished up then power off the two routers.

The first router didn't save the config, it booted into setup mode this morning when I picked up on it again. The second router (same procedure used) saved the config. I figured I was tired, I must have forgot to save the config. I redid the config today, made certain to save it (saved it twice actually just to be sure) then powered off the router. I powered up the routers again, and the router is again booting into setup mode.

What could cause this?

Comments

• Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Type 'show version' and check to see what your configuration register is set to. It should be 0x2102.

If not and it says 0x2142, that means it is ignoring the contents of NVRAM.

You can change it using the command "config-registry 0x2102" and then reload.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    Type 'show version' and check to see what your configuration register is set to. It should be 0x2102.

If not and it says 0x2142, that means it is ignoring the contents of NVRAM.

You can change it using the command "config-registry 0x2102" and then reload.

I think that was it. Thanks!

How did you figure that out/know it? Past experience?
  • Options
    VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    Past experience. When we would get routers from resellers and such, sometimes one or two would come with the register set at 2142.

But it should be covered in the ICND2 studies, so you will come across it eventually.

Good Luck.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.
  • Options
    VinnyCisco wrote: »
    Past experience. When we would get routers from resellers and such, sometimes one or two would come with the register set at 2142.

But it should be covered in the ICND2 studies, so you will come across it eventually.

Good Luck.

Thanks, that was it btw. For some reason (maybe I did it) the first router reset to the correct register setting. Either way its all up and running, thanks a lot.
  • Options
    HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you have never done that before, You will come across it when buying ebay equipment. For fun you should throw some random password on your equipment and lock yourself out and see if you can figure out how to get back in. Once you master that, backup your IOS to a free tftp like tftp32 and save your IOS. Then delete your .bin from flash and reboot the equipment. Try out rommon mode and xmodem to get it back up into production. Some time in your career, you can draw upon that knowledge.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln