Options

CS vs CIS vs IT major

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know this question has been asked and asked again on this forum but I am going to ask it again: should I major in computer science, information systems, or information technology? However, this time I am asking the question in a different way by beginning asking what major or majors would be best for the skills I want to develop. Generally, which is these programs would be the best to develop skills general programming, database and web development languages such as SQL, PHP, Perl, Java, HTML, CSS along with general UX design skills? I know every program can be different but which one would be better the skills I outlined above?

Comments

• Options
    RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    Like you already said, every program is going to be different. You're going to have to shop around if you want to find a major that focuses on web development. Any one of those majors could potentially cover the topics you're looking for.
  • Options
    causancausan Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    For development and programming CS would be your best bet. It is also probably the most rigorous of the three.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    You could not go wrong with Computer Science. Especially in the development world, if you plan to get into other domains of IT; Computer Science is still go to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I major in CS at first currently at my College now. Far as CS you will do more math if your good. I got out of CS just because i had not taken Cal since i was in college the first time. But far as CIS it carries some of the programming course like JAVA VB HTML etc..I currently major in CIS just because CS was not for me not looking to be a programmer and plus CIS is more administration type degree.Business admin to be exact. Far as IT major you really don't need one people look at experience more, but in your case you probably want to stick with it never hurts to have a degree. This will be my section just for me person goal in life. So hope that helps man.
  • Options
    tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
    J_Jones89 wrote: »
    I major in CS at first currently at my College now. Far as CS you will do more math if your good. I got out of CS just because i had not taken Cal since i was in college the first time. But far as CIS it carries some of the programming course like JAVA VB HTML etc..I currently major in CIS just because CS was not for me not looking to be a programmer and plus CIS is more administration type degree.Business admin to be exact. Far as IT major you really don't need one people look at experience more, but in your case you probably want to stick with it never hurts to have a degree. This will be my section just for me person goal in life. So hope that helps man.

Well that is one of those things I'm worried about it. I haven't taken any serious math classes since high school and that was more than 10 years ago. Every program I have looked at requires 2 semesters of cal and it would take me 3 or 4 semesters to get caught up. That is one of the things has pushed to CIS and IT.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just get in there and do it. I wouldn't let two math classes keep you from getting a CS degree.
  • Options
    da_vatoda_vato Member Posts: 445
    Lately I have read a lot of people mentioning a fear of doing a CS degree due to the calculus requirements. I have a CS undergrad and hated the math classes as well, definitely thought it was my weakest subject going in. Much to my surprise English ended up being my weakest subject... Every school has resources to help you pass classes like this.

Degrees are designed to build your skills, not verify what skills you already have. My suggestion to you is to figure out what you want to be doing 5-10 years from now and focus on that. I personally feel that a CS degree will help you the most if you don't have that defined already.

It is a more general degree but it focuses on the foundational science which can be priceless knowledge if you chose to switch your IT focus later on, like SysAd > Networking > InfoSec.
  • Options
    J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yea man you do what is best for you don't let me or other tell you different. If you have to take a few math courses over so be it. Just know you will have a CS in not time. The program is not the long if you can go fulltime.icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    ElitisElitis Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Learn programming on your own time. CS is different, depending on where you go, but it's generally everything but programming. You learn so much that simply isn't necessary or beneficial when programming. For example, computational theories. There's too many CS majors who still can't get jobs in programming because they have no experience doing it. All they know is theory; what should work, instead of what does work. You're more than likely to have to learn it on your own anyway, so, get a head start. Then you can focus on CIS or another more specific IT degree.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I know ODU has an IT bachelor's program that has a web dev track, as well a few other tracks to choose from.
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Cisc0kiddCisc0kidd Member Posts: 250
    A BS in CS is top of the food chain. If you can get one do!
  • Options
    puertorico1985puertorico1985 Member Posts: 205
    My vote is for CS. Not simply because I have one, but mainly due to the fact that you get knowledge in many areas that are beneficial and that you can apply in your career. As was said above, CS teaches principles, theories and basic knowledge. No one graduating with a CS degree will be an expert in programming or networking, or any other field. That is not the point of a CS. The degree gives you general knowledge in many different areas and gives you the tools to dig deeper and become an expert in whatever field you decide to pursue.