Options

Question about home lab.

Sa2037Sa2037 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
How much A+ certificate is important to get job?
Which pc specifications I need to make a home lab to study this cert?

Comments

• Options
    TalonizeTalonize Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Haven't taken it yet, but I would imagine a standard computer should be more than enough. If you could, get a pc that someone is throwing away or doesn't need anymore and take it apart, put it together, identify the parts. Read a book, the sybex book is what I have and it seems to just overwhelm you with technical terms. I hear the Mike Meyers book is very good, and I expect it to be as I have read his Network+ book and liked how it was on a conversational level and taught you what you needed to know.

As for how important it is to get a job... most repair shops require it. Most desktop support gigs require it as well. I couldn't tell you if it helps you get anywhere, as I only have a network+ cert.

Myself personally, I have only gotten 4 calls since I listed Network+ certified on my resume and 1 caller mentioned that since I had no experience aside from the cert that I wouldn't be capable of the workload that they had, while others just sounded like they wanted nothing more to do with me. Make of that what you will.
  • Options
    Thank you for your answer, I need more answers and advice from everyone especially from experienced people
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally speaking, the A+ cert is the proverbial "foot-in-the-door". There are several factors that must be in place for an A+ to be of any value to an employer, and thus, to you.

1. The prospective tech's attitude. As the saying goes, your attitude affects your altitude. If you aren't positive, you will find it difficult to get a job. See point three, below.

2. Your teachability. I once received a job offer because they saw me as teachable. The certs showed them that I could grasp basic concepts and answer questions, but, the important thing was that I had conveyed to them that I wanted to learn, I loved to learn, and I was willing to learn their processes.

3. Your ability to relate to others well. Too many of us in IT are glorified cellar-dwellers. We'd rather interact with IT equipment than with people. If you can't relate to those who need us most, you won't get the job.

4. This last one is the one that really, truly sucks but it still must be addressed: experience. No experience, no job. No job, no experience. So, how does one obtain the necessary experience without first having the job? You can try several things: volunteer, fix every computer issue you can get your hands on (family, friends, neighbors, teachers, etc), blog about your experiences (what was the problem and how did you solve it), etc.

As mentioned, get an old computer to take apart and put back together again. Generally, though, you don't need a lab for the A+. Any decent computer of recent vintage should be enough to run any exam sim software out that is available in the various A+ books.

Cheers
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    I read your answer friend, I'll focus to get experience more than any other thing.
    Thank you very much