Options

Is A+ still worth it or is Microsoft certs better?

J_Jones89J_Jones89 Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello guys,

Now i been at a helpdesk job for a year gain alot of experience. I obtain my security + and my mcp. Just wondering is it still worth it to have the A+ even though it states on some jobs perferred?

Comments

• Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    If you already have Sec+ & MCP, I'd never go for A+ if I were you unless you decide to go work at Geeksquad. My 2 cents would be to dodge the Network+ & dive into CCNA. Then you can choose to master in Micro Soft certs cause no matter which way you go, almost everything requires a deep networking knowledge. Plus, CCNA carries heavily on your resume also compare to other same level different vendor's certs....good luck.
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Like previous poster said, A+ is not worth it unless you are just trying to get your foot in the door. I got my A+ in 1999, and haven't looked back since. You should pick a field you like and start focusing in that area, so if you like Security find CASP or another security certification, if you like networking work on Cisco, if you like Project Management work on PMP or ITIL. Once you start focusing you can branch out..I find employers like more focused resumes than a bunch of random certs...
  • Options
    Thanks guy,

yea im studying for my CCNA now cuz networking is the find im going into and love.
  • Options
    omi2123omi2123 Member Posts: 189
    To ace it & be the best, CBTNuggets videos are the way to go & packet tracer 6.1. If you are gonna spend oney on gears, get you couple 3650 switches, one 2950 switch & one 2801 Router. you will be golden. no need to buy any other model or any extra gears.
  • Options
    @omi2123. Yea i got packet tracer and cbt nugget. Then also i got GN3. i got the book but i find it hard to fellow as much as the cbt nuggets. I can figure it out when i read if i go over it multiple times. But I love it.
  • Options
    abyssinicaabyssinica Member Posts: 97 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do Microsoft. Everybody on the freakin planet has A+ because it's easy.
  • Options
    @abyssinica Right some of the A+ stuff i read is really simple stuff if you been around computers along time. That is why i asked is it worth it