access vlan on a trunk?

PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
I found the following configured on a port

interface GigabitEthernet0/28
switchport access vlan 230
switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport mode trunk
switchport nonegotiate

I was wondering since the port is running as a trunk if there was any reason for the switchport access vlan 230 in the config.

show interfaces gi0/28 switchport
Name: Gi0/28
Switchport: Enabled
Administrative Mode: trunk
Operational Mode: trunk
Administrative Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Operational Trunking Encapsulation: dot1q
Negotiation of Trunking: Off
Access Mode VLAN: 230
Trunking Native Mode VLAN: 1 (default)
Administrative Native VLAN tagging: enabled
A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
A+, Network+, CCNA

Comments

• Options
    Magic JohnsonMagic Johnson Member Posts: 414
    Legacy config? The 'switchport mode' will tell the port what to do, if you changed it to 'switchport mode access' it would be an access port in VLAN 230.
  • Options
    broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Switchport mode is used to define the state of a trunk (auto, on, off, nonnegotiate ect.) Now the switchport command is used to specify encapsulation e.g. dot1q. Hope that helps.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    When you statically set the link to a trunk link, the access vlan statement will have no effect. If you change it back to switchport mode access, it will use that vlan.

It is useful if you are actively using DTP. If DTP negotiates a trunk, it will use the trunk settings such as "switchport trunk encap dot1q" and "switchport trunk allowed vlan X." If DTP negotiates an access port, it will use the access port setting "switchport access vlan X."
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Heero wrote: »
    When you statically set the link to a trunk link, the access vlan statement will have no effect. If you change it back to switchport mode access, it will use that vlan.
    Thanks, this is what I was hoping to here.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    jeff113jeff113 Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Looks the like correct answer was giving. A good idea would be to lab it out yourself to get the hands on feel of what it does. You can probably find packet tracers online or get a couple cheap switches. Look at the sh int (int) switchport
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would never want that command in the config in the real world...
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TechGuru80 wrote: »
    I would never want that command in the config in the real world...

Perhaps, you could set the access vlan to an unused VLAN, just in case the mode somehow gets changed back to Access mode. That way, if the trunk should somehow become an access link, it won't be usable.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Doh...yes always a good idea to change from default. That's what I get for multi tasking.
  • Options
    chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Perhaps, you could set the access vlan to an unused VLAN, just in case the mode somehow gets changed back to Access mode. That way, if the trunk should somehow become an access link, it won't be usable.

How about setting it to VLAN 1 (default VLAN)?
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I've seen this happen from time to time on the service provider side (AirRiver). The design engineers don't check the preexisting port configs, and the Customer Engineers don't check it after they've put in the command. They throw it in production and turn it over to the ops folks to clean up.
  • Options
    rowelldrowelld Member Posts: 176
    That command was probably put in place in case the port was to change out of trunking mode. The best option would be to change that access VLAN to a blackhole, or a VLAN that is not routable and has access to nothing.
    Visit my blog: http://www.packet6.com - I'm on the CWNE journey!