Options

Passed 70-680 no labbing, no work experience

VokedVoked Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I purchased a Skillsoft package that covered 8 different courses... one being MCITP. Knowing very little about industry certs, I thought "Oh yeah I'll just do this Windows 7, configuring exam real quick, how hard can it be"...

Anyway, 20 or so (far between) hours later, I had covered all of Skillsoft's coverage of the 680, and all the free practice tests I could find... so I decided to give the exam a shot. Just to see what MS exams are like. Didn't really have any expectation of passing, after reading all the horror stories on these forums...

After two hours of mostly staring at questions and being super careful, I was congratulated with a score of 700. I would have cried if there weren't someone beside me. I was dreading this exam.

If I had to give one tip, put a lot of time into memorizing the syntax for all the different deployment tools, as well as the remote access tools. Looking at the results, I got 90 odd in all areas except the specific syntax questions. I got a lot of them...

Now for the 685, I think that'll be more my type of exam. Good luck to anybody that's considering this exam.

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This doesn't tell me anything about your skills, just that you scraped a 700 without actually studying properly for the exam. Will you remember how to do things in 6 months time, I doubt it. Real world experience is where you cement what you have read and what you have labbed.

This "method" won't get you through the tougher server exams. Even if it did, on the job experience is what matters most not just a piece of paper. Put them together (maybe with a degree also) and then employers will notice it more.

Congrats on the pass anyways and good luck with 685!
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    This doesn't tell me anything about your skills, just that you scraped a 700 without actually studying properly for the exam. Will you remember how to do things in 6 months time, I doubt it. Real world experience is where you cement what you have read and what you have labbed.

This "method" won't get you through the tougher server exams. Even if it did, on the job experience is what matters most not just a piece of paper. Put them together (maybe with a degree also) and then employers will notice it more.

Congrats on the pass anyways and good luck with 685!

I guess I don't give myself enough credit. I wasn't blindly guessing, I know the content very well and I am not going to forget it any time soon. The pass just took me by surprise. I knew it better than I thought I did.

Also, my intention was not to show you any of my skills. I just thought I would post this to tell people in doubt, like I was, that the exam may not be as bad as you expect.
  • Options
    Tom239Tom239 Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey Voked first of all congratulations, a pass is pass. Whether you studied crazy or not, you can't just guess 70% in the 70-680, so well done.

I think Asif is referring to your post just comes off as being cocky dude, that's all. ;) Like your some sort of 70-680 god, who doesn't need to study at all. The 70-680 is kind of a beast.
  • Options
    Tom239 wrote: »
    Hey Voked first of all congratulations, a pass is pass. Whether you studied crazy or not, you can't just guess 70% in the 70-680, so well done.

I think Asif is referring to your post just comes off as being cocky dude, that's all. ;) Like your some sort of 70-680 god, who doesn't need to study at all. The 70-680 is kind of a beast.

I try to contain my ego... I really do icon_sad.gif I was much excite

Thanks friend :)