Options

Netbook Performance

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I have a Lenovo S10 - 2 with Windows 7 starter.

I was wondering if I could get it to work a little faster or if you had some ideas.

I have a left over SSD, old school 3 GPS one, that I am swapping out in lieu of the 5400 turtle. I was also going to reinstall home premium on the netbook.

From what I have read the most Ram you could have is 2 gb in the one slot, pretty lame. It has an Atom processor equally lame.

I know the machines uses disk space due to the low amount of Rams available. Would dropping in the SSD spruce up the performance in your opinion?

Comments

• Options
    TediousOneTediousOne Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think it depends on what you're looking for.

A) App load times, boot up time, document r/w. Most definitely.
    B) Render a 45 minute 3D movie using Blender. Not so much.

When you install Home Premium try disabling Aero, it should give a good boost too.

Background:
    I have an older Atom270 and upgrading the RAM alone made it less laggy. (at 2GB now)
    Had Trisquel 5.0 with Gnome2, installed 6.0.1 with LXDE and that made it even better.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wes allenwes allen Member Posts: 540 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Is ChromeOS an option? Might be a bit faster.
  • Options
    @ Tedious It's for my daughter, they work off of Google documents, using the powerpoint, excel and word applications. I think load times is the key here. I could careless if her videos lag she shouldn't be watching them anyway while doing home work.

@ Wes good idea bro. I am assuming I can burn to a disc as an iso and then install via external DVD player.

*** I see I need to install to USB stick and then install. Formatting to FAT32 as well.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Switch the display from 32 bit to 16 bit.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Throw on ubuntu! It can really revitalize old systems! Not nearly as much requirement than Win7.

I just read that it is for your daughter. hmm. Good time to learn? It's not as hard to learn than you'd think. Very gui based.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    Just wanted to follow up.

Decided to go with Mint Cinnamon 32 bit, the ATOM process choked on 64 bit.

Love it, you get office libre and some other cool application without all the bloat.

You are right though with the Atom and 2 gb of ram and a SSD this netbook has turned into a functional laptop. I was able to create spreadsheet etc that I normally would run at work.

It was a good move and I want to thank you all for the suggestions.