Options

Phone interview for Network Analyst position today

Scorp6Scorp6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have a phone interview this afternoon so I have been refreshing on quite a few topics and feel pretty confident. I have refreshed numerous ccna topics, reviewed the company's mission, values and awards, brushed up on the common character questions and have a few questions for them. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated! Already learned a lot and used this forum to prepare so thank you!

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It sounds like you definitely have prepared more than the average candidate that I've seen :)

My advice isn't for the interview but if you do end up getting the job, I'd recommend reviewing the book Network Warrior. It'll help bridge some of the gap between the CCNA and real world
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    Awesome thank you! Hopefully they will feel the same way!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just be yourself. Don't pretend to be someone else because you think you'd be a better fit :)

Good luck ..
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I feel like it went quite well and should hear some feedback no later than tomorrow morning. Lots of questions about me and a few technical questions about my military network. A couple trivia type questions. Asked what a /23 means and then how many ip addresses it yields per network so some quick mental math got that one right but I said 510 as opposed to 512 because I subtracted the Network address and the broadcast address. Also asked me the difference between udp and tcp. Easy. Also asked about the differences between core, distribution and access layer switches. I was sure to throw in the awards the company has received the last couple years for IT when I talked about why I wanted to work there. I asked why the position was open. Due to turnover but turnover was very uncommon there and they prefer to promote from within. I asked about the benefits they offer for continuing education which I was impressed with.

All in all it lasted 30 minutes and I feel very confident about the interview. Thanks to everyone that helped me prepare!
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    congrats man, think you might have the job. One thing I don't ever understand is that there are always so many requirements that says on the job post, yet when you finally get the interview, they ask questions that are so vanilla a guy like me that is still in school with no certs is able to answer them, and yet when I get the job, my interviewer told me that other people who interviewed couldn't even answer those questions. Makes me wonder what the company is thinking to boost up the job post and how the others who interviewed did not even know the very basic concepts on internetworking!
  • Options
    PupilPupil Member Posts: 168
    hellolin wrote: »
    congrats man, think you might have the job. One thing I don't ever understand is that there are always so many requirements that says on the job post, yet when you finally get the interview, they ask questions that are so vanilla a guy like me that is still in school with no certs is able to answer them, and yet when I get the job, my interviewer told me that other people who interviewed couldn't even answer those questions. Makes me wonder what the company is thinking to boost up the job post and how the others who interviewed did not even know the very basic concepts on internetworking!

This is so true. I've read many people asked basics of TCP/IP during interviews and the interviewer would remark that some candidates couldn't answer them. What the heck
  • Options
    Thanks hellolin! I definitely over prepared on the technical side of things! I will update tomorrow if I find anything out!
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    This is so true. I've read many people asked basics of TCP/IP during interviews and the interviewer would remark that some candidates couldn't answer them. What the heck

Those were my tech questions for an engineer level interview. Difference between TCP and UDP and describe a TCP connection. I started talking syn and ack and the guy's eyes went wide and he said he had never heard someone actually know that, weird.
  • Options
    Danielm7 wrote: »
    Those were my tech questions for an engineer level interview. Difference between TCP and UDP and describe a TCP connection. I started talking syn and ack and the guy's eyes went wide and he said he had never heard someone actually know that, weird.

That's crazy those questions were on an engineer level interview! I am hoping to hear something in the next hour or two so I will update. Mildly frustrated I didn't get to talk more technical but hoping to get an in person interview to be able to expand on that.

I did want to add that he talked for a while about his topology. Speeds, connections in and out, hardware models, WiFi information like number of SSID's and frequencies, satellite locations and capabilities. I took this as a great sign as I wouldn't tell someone that if I wasn't interested in them working for me. What is everyone's opinion of him telling me that kind of information?
  • Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hope that you update the thread when you hear the good news.
  • Options
    100k100k Member Posts: 196
    Scorp6 wrote: »
    That's crazy those questions were on an engineer level interview! I am hoping to hear something in the next hour or two so I will update. Mildly frustrated I didn't get to talk more technical but hoping to get an in person interview to be able to expand on that.

I did want to add that he talked for a while about his topology. Speeds, connections in and out, hardware models, WiFi information like number of SSID's and frequencies, satellite locations and capabilities. I took this as a great sign as I wouldn't tell someone that if I wasn't interested in them working for me. What is everyone's opinion of him telling me that kind of information?

Sound like your in to me.
  • Options
    biggenebiggene Member Posts: 153 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck, but I seriously don't think you will need it. Sounds to me like you are a shoe in for the position as well.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words everyone. Still nothing. Hopefully they are working on a second interview time. I'm hoping no news is good news.
  • Options
    Apparently the company was very quick to tell people no. We haven't heard anything yet so it may just be that my interviewer just took a long weekend. I'm hoping so anyway. I will update on Monday, I suppose... icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Well, apparently they were looking for someone with a little more experience. I was told I interviewed very well but just didn't have the experience they desired. I do have a couple more opportunities so I will try to keep updates coming.
  • Options
    wallpaper_01wallpaper_01 Member Posts: 226 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck and keep interviewing. I'm waiting on one today also. Even if I don't get it, I hope I can take something from it and improve for the next one. Its hard not to feel rubbish about not getting a job. You sound really positive which is good, it wont be long until you are hired!
  • Options
    Good luck and keep interviewing. I'm waiting on one today also. Even if I don't get it, I hope I can take something from it and improve for the next one. Its hard not to feel rubbish about not getting a job. You sound really positive which is good, it wont be long until you are hired!

Thanks for the kind words! Definitely a bad feeling when you aren't selected regardless of the reason but definitely a learning experience and I am better from it.

Good luck on your interview!
  • Options
    hellolinhellolin Member Posts: 107
    Scorp6 wrote: »
    Well, apparently they were looking for someone with a little more experience. I was told I interviewed very well but just didn't have the experience they desired. I do have a couple more opportunities so I will try to keep updates coming.
    Looks like your typical company nowadays in any industry, no one wants to spend time to train anyone, everyone expects an experience professional to quit their current job to work more hours and take less pay for their position, which in turn cause what we know today as a pretty ****** up job market!