Options

Information Security job, Washington DC

kzckzc Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys, a friend of mine has a position opening up in the next few days in Washington DC. I don't have a ton of information, and there's no requirements written yet, but I can find the answers to any questions you may have.

I'm not going to sugarcoat anything, the salary is low for the area (in the neighborhood of $80,000-85,000 annually) and the requirements are quite high.

Preferred Candidates would have the following:
6-10 years information security experience
1-3 years security management experience
Strong background with writing security policies and procedures
CISSP or equivalent
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Business, or related disciplines
Strong familiarity with the NIST risk management framework, as well as other laws, regulations, directives, etc applicable to USG systems.
Ability to manage the security posture of multiple environments simultaneously with no supervision and minimal guidance
Ability to pass a public trust investigation

These are not set in stone, but the client has historically been very picky regarding this position.

It's a good resume-building opportunity managing the security posture of several US Government enterprise systems. The biggest upside is that it'll put you in a great position a couple years down the road.

If you're interested, send me a PM with your contact information; we can chat about it and I can send your information along.

Comments

• Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good luck on finding someone for that salary in DC with those credentials. I make more than that in Dallas TX and do not even have a CISSP. Plus you throw in the fact it is a government job and that will require a clearance your pool for candidates just got smaller.
  • Options
    I am fully aware of that, honestly. The first thing I said to him was that there were very few people who would accept that... But, I'm still willing to drop a couple lines for him and see if anything turns up.
  • Options
    HeeroHeero Member Posts: 486
    They are pricing themselves far too low to find any qualified candidates. Best case scenario is you find someone who meets all of the requirements on paper, but is mentally retarded and will just be a waste to the organization.
  • Options
    Again, I'm aware. I didn't start this thread to have the position or it's requirements ripped, simply to open the door to people who may be actively looking and willing to accept that position. There was a lot of early politicking regarding the position, which is why the price to requirements is so heavily skewed, and why the government has trouble filling important billets such as this with qualified candidates.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    this is a gov. job? Or contracting?

Difference being, feds offer substantially better bennies than contracting.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    That's a misconception in many cases. Consulting firms often offer fantastic benefits; the last two I worked for were far more generous than the government. This one, I believe, is nearly on par with govvy benefits, though there may be a couple shortfalls.

Edit: I've only worked with this company on a 1099 basis, so I can't speak to their bennies in too much specificity. I just know there's great insurances and educational benefits.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Maybe in many cases, but the one thing that .gov offers that most contractors don't, is stability... that can be very important, for example, for someone who has a disabled/high medical needs family member. Also tends to be more flexible w/ time off, again depending on circumstances, but with .gov work, you aren't billing a client.

just my .02
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    Actually, that amount could be right at this point because Federal budget cuts. I used to make six figures in the Northern Virginia until my company lost the contract. I was brought over with the new contracting company with 35% paycuts and because I need medical insurance for my wife due to her pregnancy. I had no choice to take the deal with verbally promise to find me a different position with old comparable salary within 6 months. I stayed in that job for a year, then I resigned because the promise was a liar. Just moved to Dallas/Fort Worth but the new opportunity that I am starting on Monday is triple in term of compensation from my position in Northern Virginia after 35% paycuts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.