Options

Classic Networking dilemma

QuantumKnightQuantumKnight Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
So I have been getting a lot of calls for jobs since getting my CCNA early July. But soon I find out that while my resume is good, I am lacking more networking experience in an Enterprise environment. The basic router and switch configuration that I have been doing in the National Guard the past couple of years is not enough for most of the employers in my area. The only jobs I seem to be able to get hands down are the help desk roles that would not lead any networking opportunity. While I have some linux and decent Active Directory experience, I want my role in the networking world. So I am almost tempted to study for my CCNP to see if it may help me land a CCNA role. Although I am sure CCNP screams that one should be at an Engineer level. I feel all the basic network monitor or Jr. Network Admin positions are dry in my area (and the area is growing for IT). Should I just focus becoming a guru in knowledge at the CCNA level? I am rereading and practicing while I wait for an opportunity, but I do need a job asap and I don't want to settle for something that will not let me get into my desired role as I really enjoy networking. Any advise would be appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll probably be in your situation next year sometime. CCNA is really entry level and networking is not.

So we will need to find a job in the industry and prove ourselves while continuing to study.

Good Luck!