Options

Should I include my Law degree on my resume for IT jobs

snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi guys,

I'm currently working in a role where I'm supporting various software used in the company. Towards the middle of next year, I'm looking to go back into more of a technical/desktop support role. By this time I'm hoping to have a few certificates under my belt (currently working on these at the moment) and I have a few years experience in IT which I managed to get prior to going to university. My issue is that I spent 4 years getting a law degree and during that time I didn't really do much work (besides a part time retail job). Do I include my degree on my résumé when applying for IT jobs or should I just leave it off? It does explain the 4 year gap in my work experience, but it's not really relevant to the jobs I'll be looking to apply for.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    yeah yeahyeah yeah Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It does help. We were hiring a number of cyber positions (C&A, CND, Forensics), and one individual stood out because of their law degree. They would understand the legal points of legal custody. They were a perfect fit for a couple of our CND and Forensics positions. Plus within C&A, they were able to perform certification based on the letter of the law.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely. If anything, it would make you stand out above another candidate that didn't have a degree at all.
  • Options
    zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with those others above me, it is something that should certainly be on your resume!
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For a desktop support role or help desk role I would actually leave the law degree off. I think many hiring managers would think you will look for the door quickly in one of those roles. However, people with IT and legal knowledge are a huge asset in compliance, governance, audit, forensics, and privacy, and I would definitely leave it on if you apply for any of those types of roles.
  • Options
    dirtyharrydirtyharry Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Why IT after years getting the JD?
  • Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Absolutely leave it on your resume. Any degree is better than no degree.
    Tom Servo wrote: »
    FoI think many hiring managers would think you will look for the door quickly in one of those roles.

That's why you also send in a well written cover letter to put that concern to rest before it even comes up.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    aspiringsoulaspiringsoul Member Posts: 314
    For as much as it must have cost you, I certainly would not omit it!
    Education: MS-Information Security and Assurance from Western Governors University, BS-Business Information Systems from Indiana Wesleyan University, AAS-Computer Network Systems - ITT Tech,
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you have a huge gap in employment, and that was due to your pursuing your JD(assuming its a JD), then I would put it on the resume. If you don't have any gaps, then I would say, it would depend on the type of role you're applying for. Like someone said, the cyber positions, it can definitely help you.

Also, if its not a JD, and just a bachelor's, then absolutely put it on your resume....
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Definitely put it on there. Doesn't really matter the role there is always some "compliance" aspect to a job. Be it the policies and procedures of the company or regulations of the industry that you support. I work in the regulatory world and I have to say it is very interesting/exciting. I get to see some of the newest technology, test it, audit it, and make sure it's secure. A law degree or knowledge would have been extremely helpful for me.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Leave it on. And maybe look for roles in the security realm? Your tech knowledge plus the law degree is extremely valuable!!
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    dirtyharry wrote: »
    Why IT after years getting the JD?

Because less than 30% of American JD holders practice law. The unemployment in Law is huge, and so many JD holders out there but less attorney works to do. JD is not a good return on investment as profession anymore in the Untied States. There are little over 200 law schools in the United States that accredit by the American Bar Association (ABA). Each of them produce about 200 to 600 JD graduates per year. I used to ride motorcycle with a JD graduate, he graduated from George Washington University. He was not able to find any work 6 months while accumulated $300,000.00 student loans for undergraduate and JD degree. He finally moved back with his parents.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    snowchick7669snowchick7669 Member Posts: 69 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I agree with the suggestion of leaving it on and then explaining it in my cover letter.

Just to clarify, it's a Bachelors and not a JD. I'll back up CyberfiSecurity's point however, the current state of the market for law graduates is completely saturated. I realised after 2 years that law wasn't going to be something I could see myself doing, but I just couldn't quit halfway through my degree.

Security is something I'm aiming for, but I know it's not something you can jump straight into. I'm looking to build up the experience first and then figure out my options/which path I want to go down.

Does anyone else have any non-IT related degrees on their resumes?

• Options
    anoeljranoeljr Member Posts: 278 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Leave that on! That's a great accomplishment. It's so important today for IT professionals to have an understanding of other aspects of business than just IT.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I agree with the suggestion of leaving it on and then explaining it in my cover letter.

Just to clarify, it's a Bachelors and not a JD. I'll back up CyberfiSecurity's point however, the current state of the market for law graduates is completely saturated. I realised after 2 years that law wasn't going to be something I could see myself doing, but I just couldn't quit halfway through my degree.

Security is something I'm aiming for, but I know it's not something you can jump straight into. I'm looking to build up the experience first and then figure out my options/which path I want to go down.

I would say the areas in security you want to focus on are:

• Information Security Governance and Risk Management – the identification of an organization’s information assets and the development, documentation and implementation of policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
      • Security governance and policy
      • Information classification/ownership
      • Contractual agreements and procurement processes
      • Risk management concepts
      • Personnel security
      • Security education, training and awareness
      • Certification and accreditation
    And

• Legal, Regulations, Investigations and Compliance – addresses computer crime laws and regulations; the investigative measures and techniques which can be used to determine if a crime has been committed and methods to gather evidence.
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□

since its a bachelor's, i dont think you need to explain anything. There's plenty of pplz who have bachelor's in a non-technical degree that work in IT now. and since you're already doing some sort of IT work, there shouldn't really be an issue...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Options
    Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I take back my suggestion of leaving it off. I thought you were talking about a JD. Absolutely put that you have a Bachelors on your resume. Personally, I keep my major off my resume. I just put Bachelors Degree - XXX University. They often ask in the interview what I majored in (Political Science), but it has never kept me from getting a job.
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    I would recommend to leave your JD or LLB Law degree in the resume. Some stupid think you are over qualified, but most think it is a good thing. I did an experimentation with my current on going Ph.D in Information Assurance. When I left it off less recruit contact me than I left it on. If I am a hiring manager, it would be a positive on your profile. Also, you don't have to explain the number of years gap in your resume.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have a degree in electing engineering and not one job on my CV has anything to do with electronics lol
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    * Electronic Engineering

Sorry, mobile theme doesn't allow editing.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Oh, I thought you mean electioneering. :) Politicking FTW!
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■

Oh yeah, business bachelors and masters.
  • Options
    slushislushi Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My organization has hired people that do not have IT degrees (work for the Government).

Like everyone else has suggested, leave it on!

We've got people in the office with Degrees in Biology, Russian Studies, and History. We even had a guy with some sort of Law degree, but for some odd reason he decided to include his transcript that showed his 2.4 GPA (that is something I'd keep out).