Verizon FiOS - Security Issue?

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
We have FiOS and I have always loved it. I will point out that I am not at all happy with their new OS on their cable boxes, but other then that I am a happy customer. One feature they provide is caller ID on your television. Great feature for lazy people like myself who don't want to get up to look at the phone. Two days ago it stopped working and before you would just turn off the feature then put it back on. Within a few hours it was back and you were good to go. Last night it still wasn't back up so support was called (not by me as I was out). An hour later they reset the box and it starts working again. That's when my family noticed that the internet was down. They call again and they remotely reset the modem (not a big deal since I left the default configuration on it anyway). Low and behold I check this morning, the reset actually wiped the WPA2 password off the wifi! The concerning part is they enable WPA2 by default on the modem/router and put the password on the label on the modem. Thus you would think that when reset to the defaults it would be back to WPA2. Yet in one fail swoop they compromised the security of my network.

What really gets me is the fact that it isn't difficult to get them to do whatever you ask. Typically they merely ask for the address of your house and if it matches the bill they provide you with support. What is to stop someone who really wants in your network from calling, having your modem/router reset, and then jumping onto your wifi as the avenue for the attack? Definitely very concerning to me.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    We have FiOS and I have always loved it. I will point out that I am not at all happy with their new OS on their cable boxes, but other then that I am a happy customer. One feature they provide is caller ID on your television. Great feature for lazy people like myself who don't want to get up to look at the phone. Two days ago it stopped working and before you would just turn off the feature then put it back on. Within a few hours it was back and you were good to go. Last night it still wasn't back up so support was called (not by me as I was out). An hour later they reset the box and it starts working again. That's when my family noticed that the internet was down. They call again and they remotely reset the modem (not a big deal since I left the default configuration on it anyway). Low and behold I check this morning, the reset actually wiped the WPA2 password off the wifi! The concerning part is they enable WPA2 by default on the modem/router and put the password on the label on the modem. Thus you would think that when reset to the defaults it would be back to WPA2. Yet in one fail swoop they compromised the security of my network.

What really gets me is the fact that it isn't difficult to get them to do whatever you ask. Typically they merely ask for the address of your house and if it matches the bill they provide you with support. What is to stop someone who really wants in your network from calling, having your modem/router reset, and then jumping onto your wifi as the avenue for the attack? Definitely very concerning to me.

Thats a pretty big problem. Does Verizon have a method of contacting them to report things like this?