Options

What exactly is Junior Desktop Support?

Anyone care to explain what exactly a Junior Desktop Support role entails? I'm interested in applying for this role and the job description doesn't really paint a clear picture of what I would be in for.

Thanks in Advance!

Comments

• Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Titles mean nothing but I would imagine this role involving new pc imaging, asset tagging and tracking, first level type stuff for MS Office. Probably some mundane tasks such as refurbishing equipment, organizing CAT5/6 cabling, cleaning up the build room, etc.
  • Options
    MagnumOpusMagnumOpus Member Posts: 107
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Titles mean nothing but I would imagine this role involving new pc imaging, asset tagging and tracking, first level type stuff for MS Office. Probably some mundane tasks such as refurbishing equipment, organizing CAT5/6 cabling, cleaning up the build room, etc.

Great entry level experience it seems. Thanks for the quick response!
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    It is hard to tell by looking at the title. Each organization would come up with their own job title. Some companies can even come up with Junior Desktop Engineer. But overall it more likely will do lower level of desktop/technical support.
    - Response end users problem (ie. Internet is not work, exchange is not syncing, printer is not printing, web browser is not loading because older Java version).
    - Software installation
    - Making CAT5 cable
    - Cleaning up the PC.
    - Answer the phone call
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    It is hard to tell by looking at the title. Each organization would come up with their own job title. Some companies can even come up with Junior Desktop Engineer. But overall it more likely will do lower level of desktop/technical support.
    - Response end users problem (ie. Internet is not work, exchange is not syncing, printer is not printing, web browser is not loading because older Java version).
    - Software installation
    - Making CAT5 cable
    - Cleaning up the PC.
    - Answer the phone call

Lower level, hence the name Junior eh? And you're right, I have seen several Junior Engineer positions it it seems to be entry level work. I have to pay my dues in the IT realm, would you consider this a job worth pursuing?

Thanks again,
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    MagnumOpus wrote: »
    Lower level, hence the name Junior eh? And you're right, I have seen several Junior Engineer positions it it seems to be entry level work. I have to pay my dues in the IT realm, would you consider this a job worth pursuing?

Thanks again,

You are new in IT? If you are not, I would not recommend it unless you need it to step into the IT world. But I am looking at your certifications, I would think you have passed the entry level. If you are currently working in the IT, I would recommend to look for better position.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    You really need to just apply and ask them. It could say junior and require significant experience, or it could say senior and not. Only they know what the position entails. But there is no downside to just applying.
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How big is the company that's advertising the job? That could play a big part in what the job entails. I would guess it's a mix of help desk and sneakernet, some phones and some walking, mostly all labor and end user support.
  • Options
    The GodThe God Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I second what cyberguypr said.

• Options
    I'm currently about a year in with IT (still green) and it definitely been a challenge as many openings require qualifications that are beyond the scope of work. But the company is a mid-sized company and pinky your absolutely right, there is no downside to applying. I didn't realize that IT positions could be quite the variable.