Options

Anyone here work for IBM or ex-IBM?

langenoirlangenoir Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
IBM just bought the company I work for. They flew us to Atlanta, gave us the big corporate pitch on how my life is going to be forever changed, in a good way of course, and made sure to drive home the fact that we have to "hit our numbers." Of course my company, before it was bought had a number of ex-IBMers and they never really had that good of things to say about it.

I was just wondering if there was anyone on here who works for IBM or used to work for IBM and would be willing to give their honest opinions of it?

Comments

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IBM is corporate so they ain't kidding about "making your numbers."

Read reviews about any organization at glassdoor.com
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've never worked at IBM myself but I know many people that work or have worked there including family members. The way that its been described to me sounds like being part of a Borg collective. Not that its necessarily a bad thing - at least everyone marches towards the same goal.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Paul - Lol

Sounds like Accenture
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    First piece of advice - run.

Second piece - don't look back.

IBM is a company that invents crazy cool things (Watson) and buys a ton of orgs to make a solid play in different markets, but every time they make a purchase they end up ruining the company that they acquire. It could be through changing the products, changing the pricing, etc. There are a few other big orgs like this too; Cisco, HP, etc.

The only time I've seen people stick around is to say that they've worked for "IBM" for a year or so, and hope to make some good stock options.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    There are a few other big orgs like this too; Cisco, HP, etc.

Care to elaborate? Can't speak for HP but you are dead wrong about Cisco.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'll re-phrase...many of Cisco's historical acquisitions. Flip (the video camera) was great and they killed it. Ironport was a smart buy, but they never innovated with it. Their newer buys, particularly this year, have been top notch however. I also really liked their Sourcefire buy too.