Options

What should I do? NEtwork Engineer position

Adam BAdam B Member Posts: 108 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was recently hired as the tech guy at a nonprofit organization that helps teach kids 3d imaging, circuitry, programming ect. I love the people i work with everyday. It's just me and my overseer as the tech guys, but basically I get thrown jobs like setting up servers, wiring to different devices and troubleshooting issues with the workstations when the users have problems accessing web browsers that wont load, ect. It's definitely taught me patience. I get paid around 10.50 an hour.

The thing is though, I just recently got my CCNA in July and have no way of using it here. I want to put my ccna to good use but i don't want to burn any bridges as I've only been here since June.

I was an intern for a month but then turned full paid employee. I just recently also found an opening as a network engineer that requires 0-2 years of experience, with CCNA as a big plus.

My first semester of college is coming up and and i really want to become a network engineer but I just really don't want to burn bridges as my co workers know alot of people in the area, not to mention I genuinely like them. They say they appreciate my help all the time and really love me being there to help them in any way possible, I just don't get to use my CCNA as it really isn't valued here due to the lack of cisco equipment :/ any tips?
2015 Goals: CCNP SWITCH [] SEC+ [ ] CCNP ROUTE [ ] CCNP TSHOOT [ ]

Comments

• Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If they are really that good of people and care about you, then they are going to understand when you are leaving them for 50-100% more pay doing something that you have trained/studied for. If they don't understand then they probably don't care about you as much as you think. It's always tough leaving a job you like and where you are appreciated but you aren't staying there forever.
  • Options
    Scorp6Scorp6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I agree with markulous. As much as you like them if they appreciate you too they will fully support you pursuing better career opportunities. Best advice I can give is just to have a sit down with your supervisor and make your intentions clear and be sure he/she understands why.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    As everyone else said just be honest but if you wanna be a network engineer then you need to go be a network engineer. You miss every shot you don't take. Trust me I been through the same thing and they will understand and bridges aren't burnt. I still talk to and hang out with my old coworkers.
  • Options
    DrethylDrethyl Member Posts: 121 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Adam,

Do you already have college degrees or will this be your first one? I'm going for my first certificate soon I just can't decide which to do the CCNET or comptia security.
  • Options
    This is my first one haha. I'm eighteen and in love with networking. I'd personally recommend the CCENT or Network+. Network+ will give you a broad range of networking info, teach you subnetting I believe as well. CCENT is heavy on the subnetting as that's a skill they want you to pick up. It's confusing at first but yeah :). Networking stems into security. Good to know about the infrastructure and how It works so you can secure a network effectively. Thanks guys for the replies :)

• Options
    I'll definitely start polishing up my resume and send in my application for the network engineer position. I think its a great opportunity and just didnt want them to hate me for leaving after 1 month of being an intern and one month of being a paid employee. More thoughts on this predicament would be appreciated btw :) I dont mind advice at all.

• Options
    Scorp6Scorp6 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Definitely put in for it and congrats on your decision. I would inform your supervisor when or even before you so just so there are no surprises. They will support you and encourage you. Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks scorp will take your advice. I don't really have a supervisor though, as it is just me and another co worker who are the 2 man IT department basically, he oversees what I do Should I still do it?

• Options
    jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just do it because you know you will regret it later by not taking a chance. Life is too short.