Options

Consultant Lifecycle

Sunshine_54Sunshine_54 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking for some advice.

I'm in a fairly stable job right now as a Senior Administrator (cloud/virtualization) in Ontario (Greater Toronto Area). I like the work that I do and I make an OK wage but there's a few things that bug me such as a) alot of saturday night/sunday morning with no pay, b) low or non-existent bonuses due to the company not doing well at the moment and c) poor senior management leadership.

I'm being offered a consultant position in the GTA for a major technology company. It would pay 35 grand more per year, with a large bonus and stock options. The downside is that my drive would be horrible (probably 1-1.5 hours one way) and every so often I would need to travel to different provinces for projects. I have 2 small children and a wife so I obviously wouldn't be seeing as much of them.

Anyways, I'm wondering what people's take would be on this position; whether it's worth it or not. Also, if anyone has been in a similar situation and what type of affect it had on your family life.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    If you already have a house is a tough call, but if you are still renting would be easier. Just move your entire family to the new work office. I would recommend if you are able to relocate closer to work; otherwise waiting for another opportunity. If you drive 1 to 1.5 hours one way is tough because you have to calculate gas and vehicle expenses and your time on the road.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    NightShade03NightShade03 Member Posts: 1,383 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I would take the new role. The commute is something that you'll adjust too, the pay definitely helps to compensate for the further commute, and there is (hopefully) the possibly that this new consultant role could lead to something more Sr or Mgmt. Usually the further up the consultant track the less billable work you do and the more mentoring, authoring, mgmt tasks you take on. Just my two cents.