Options

Question about having multiple server roles.

ryanw4130ryanw4130 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Everyone,
I am somewhat of a noob so stay with me. I turned a dell Optiplex 755 into a low budget home server, Im using ubuntu 14.04 LTS for the OS, and so far its being used as a Media server with PLEX. I have 2 amazon fire tvs, and one roku, that I stream movies and tv shows to. Its also being used as a NAS, where I have backed up important files and family pictures, etc.. I now want to have it host a website, but I know having a web server exposed to the public (in the DMZ), will require it to be very secure, and still taking a risk of it being hacked.

so question,
How would you go about doing this, without having to buy another pc/server?
I was thinking of virtualizing the web host, that way I can close all unnecessary port and add as much security programs without having to worry about it effecting the PLEX server functionality, the NAS functionality and my personalel data will be some much safer.

Comments

• Options
    BloogenBloogen Member Posts: 180 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You are on the right track with running the web server as a VM. I don't see any risks to doing it that way. The VM should have no way to communicate with the host machine or other computers on the network as well. You will want to think about how to achieve that.