how long to stay

snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
Whats is the right amount of time people stay at their first IT job. Im interested to know, and what are some of the reasons you stayed or left.

Comments

• markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Depends on a lot of factors: how fast you learn, what certs you're getting, your role there, how much room for growth, etc. If it's a dead-end help desk that pays $10 an hour, I'd say grab a cert or two (or more), and move on within 3-6 months. If you're getting paid $18 an hour and there's a lot of room to move up doing something you really want to do (network admin, sys admin, etc.), you may stay for several years.
  • bhcs2014bhcs2014 Member Posts: 103
    There is no "right" amount of time. You stay as long as you want. I stayed a little under 5 months at my first IT job. I left because the job was no longer serving me. It had become stale. I found a better job and I've been here around the same amount of time.. I won't hesitate to leave if a better opportunity comes up.
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    ^ No right amount of time is precisely the answer. I did desktop support for many many years because the employer was great, I was always picking up more responsibility, learning new stuff, and generally progressing. The minute all that stops happening, that's when you move on.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Like others said it is until you can no longer gain anything from it or seek more of a challenge.

I stayed at my first job 1.5 years then my 2nd one 4 years.

The one I am at now I wont stay as long maybe 1.5 years due to the lack of the ability to grow but I am going to seek out a place I can stay another 4 - 5 years at minimum and grow into a stronger position.