Options

Will a non-IT degree be worth anything in my career?

jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
I'm currently 4 classes away from my B.A in Communication studies from UMUC. I am currently in 2 of the last 4 classes I need and should be done no later than April of next year.

Now I'm curious about my degree being in a non-IT field while my career is in IT, namely security. I work in the DoD field where degrees have always seemed to me third behind experience and certifications. I've seen plenty of people with 10+ years of hands on experience do well while having no degree. To me, it comes off as having a degree is just another check box to complete, especially when it comes to management or GS positions. However, all of my coworkers have degrees, ranging in business to information technology, to include a few with MBAs and other masters.

Should I be worried? I have enough time on my GI Bill remaining (19 months) to either go for a majority of a masters in probably communications studies, or I can turn back around and get an IT associates and bachelors. Should I start over again and pursue a BS in some IT field?

Thanks!
And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna

Comments

• Options
    Vask3nVask3n Member Posts: 517
    jvrlopez wrote: »

I work in the DoD field where degrees have always seemed to me third behind experience and certifications. I've seen plenty of people with 10+ years of hands on experience do well while having no degree.

Thanks!

That's pretty much it in a nutshell, I also have two degrees, one in IT and one not related to IT. Both just serve as small-talk during interviews, lol.

Although I've worked at two places so far where someone in management majored in the same non-IT degree that I have so I think it ended up actually helping in an odd way since managers could relate.

Good times
    Working on MS-ISA at Western Governor's University
  • Options
    CyberfiSecurityCyberfiSecurity Member Posts: 184
    You should not worry about non IT degree. Your experience and Information Security certifications would compensate for that; especially, CISSP is comparable to a Master degree. If you still worry, then go for a Master degree once you complete your Bachelor. Once you earn your Master, no one cares about your undergraduate degree anymore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Vice President | Citigroup, Inc.
    President/CEO | Agility Fidelis, Inc.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    agreed. i wouldnt worry about the non IT degree or waste time going for an associates or bachelors. If you do go back get a masters. TBH with your experience and certs you have a nice skillset that sets you apart from others. Communications is very beneficial in IT when you need to sell an idea or project to the business side stakeholders. There of course are other IT roles where you could also use communications skills like sales engineering. And sales engineering roles in the security sector pay very well.
  • Options
    Just thought I'd give a bump to this topic and let everyone know that I turned in my final assignment today...I just need to wait and see how what grades I got, but everything looks very well.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats! Always feels great to finish a big milestone.
  • Options
    pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats. So whats the plan?
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congrats! Nice accomplishment.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. It feels good to be done at the moment. Just need to wait for my grades to make sure it's a done deal. If I do graduate, I'm not sure what I'll be doing after. I will have plenty of free time and will probably look to study towards a Linux certification.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    So some jobs just require or desire 'a' degree but some look for a specific type of degree.

You see that a lot with DoD type jobs because a large majority of people are coming from the service and essentially play in a different ballpark than the rest (not saying better, just different). Generally there are requirements on amount of people they need with military experience.

Your degree will serve only the purpose of being able to communicate and write effectively (hopefully). Other than that it will not really help. A business degree helps with managing business aspects therefore can directly relate to areas like risk management, resource management, etc.

If you want to work in IT and plan on going back to school either do business or IT to get that exposure. Certifications are great but those alone will not get you past HR.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think it really depends on the role you will be going into and your previous experiences.

Software developement, straight out of school, bet your arse it will hurt to have a non it degree.

Experience with systems etc and a non it degree, it's a non issue IMO.
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    So here is my thing ive told others (excuse mistypes I am on a cell)

A degree you need to realize shows you basics but shows you are dedicated to accomplishments. You have dedicated your time to furthering your education and making yourself more educated. You have A DEGREE which means you pass the general hr filter.

Also congrats when you pass
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    @ Kohr-ah I think this is the case for most entry level positions, but IT positions that require hard skills favor IT degrees not liberal arts etc. Most of our .net dev's all had CS degrees and usually hit the ground running month 3. By Month 9 they were delivering at a high level.

Overall in most situations an IT degree is far superior to a non IT degree if you are going into an IT function. This is as clear as day from my current and past experiences.

The wild card in all this is your previous experience. Any joker can say well I have X degree and they required Y, but fails to mention they have 10 years of industry experience. While in the real world that is great and that means A LOT, on these forums it's generally useless.
  • Options
    GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    GS positions typically favor business degrees, STEM degrees, and IT degrees. Ultimately, your bachelors will open up doors because it meets the requirements to move up.

Bachelors = GS-5 to GS-11
    Masters = GS-9 to GS-13
    PHD = GS-11+
    This also is based upon your years of experience, prior military service, aptitude, certs, etc.
  • Options
    GoodBishopGoodBishop Member Posts: 359 ■■■■□□□□□□
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    Just thought I'd give a bump to this topic and let everyone know that I turned in my final assignment today...I just need to wait and see how what grades I got, but everything looks very well.
    Congrats!!! Way to go! I bet you're glad that's over. :)
  • Options
    Grades were posted not too long ago. The class I was most worried for, my senior seminar, ended up being my highest grade (an A), and Intro to Cybersecurity, which I thought would be an easy A, ended up being my lowest graded course at a C (I missed a few assignments).

All the requirements have been met for my degree, I just need to have my degree conferred.

Glad this is over with finally.