Options

Non-IT Degree and Technical Role

I've been reading various posts lately and many of them claimed that a related degree was not necessary for many IT roles, but what about technical roles? Would someone with a non-IT degree be able to get into a technical position such as network engineering or database administration? I am planning to go into network administration or server administration and work on the technical side of things and my degree isn't in IT. I am likely going to start out doing desktop/network support and move my way up.

Comments

• Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think every job will be different. It has been my experience that job posting will say something to the effect of degree in IT related field or equivalent experience. A lot of companies just want to know you have a certain baseline of education.

I know a English major that switched to IT. It probably helps him with the good written communication requirements.
    I know a Business major that switched to IT. It probably helps her with the accounting databases she works with.

Being this site focuses on certifications I'm gonna suggest you get a couple certifications to complement the degree and you will be off to a great start.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think you'll have few problems, depending on how many (and type of) CS courses you took to satisfy your minor requirements. CS courses are, usually, quite technical in nature, which might satisfy the IT requirements in the minds of future hiring managers. It all depends on your ability to sell the CS side of your degree.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I think every job will be different. It has been my experience that job posting will say something to the effect of degree in IT related field or equivalent experience. A lot of companies just want to know you have a certain baseline of education.

I know a English major that switched to IT. It probably helps him with the good written communication requirements.
    I know a Business major that switched to IT. It probably helps her with the accounting databases she works with.

Being this site focuses on certifications I'm gonna suggest you get a couple certifications to complement the degree and you will be off to a great start.

Good Luck!

What I'm getting from this is that I may mostly be doing work that is not technical IT work. If I want to do purely technical IT work, would certifications be useful enough?
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I think you'll have few problems, depending on how many (and type of) CS courses you took to satisfy your minor requirements. CS courses are, usually, quite technical in nature, which might satisfy the IT requirements in the minds of future hiring managers. It all depends on your ability to sell the CS side of your degree.

In this case, the CS courses along with IT certifications could give me a chance. Most of my CS courses were programming related, but I did take a TCP/IP course. I have my A+ and I am going to obtain my Network+ soon. Based on what people said here, the certifications would be enough to get me into technical IT roles.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Certs, by and large, are enough to get your foot in the door. For those jobs that require a technical degree, I think your CS minor will be helpful. I am sure, if you sold it well, that hiring managers would give the minor and certs similar weight that they would give to someone with a tech degree.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What I'm getting from this is that I may mostly be doing work that is not technical IT work. If I want to do purely technical IT work, would certifications be useful enough?.

That is not what I was attempting to relay at all. Only that skills you pick up in school still help you even when you switch careers. You will need to learn that technical side which is why I suggest Certs. But that does not make your life experience and past schooling useless. The point of most educational programs is to teach you to learn. Use that knowledge to advance yourself now.

The two cases I listed are just people I know that did not start in IT but shifted into it during their careers. They are both in technical roles and appear to be successful at them.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I've been reading various posts lately and many of them claimed that a related degree was not necessary for many IT roles, but what about technical roles? Would someone with a non-IT degree be able to get into a technical position such as network engineering or database administration? I am planning to go into network administration or server administration and work on the technical side of things and my degree isn't in IT. I am likely going to start out doing desktop/network support and move my way up.

I am Sr.Network engineer at a very very large financial institution and I have an associates degree in horticulture...in no way shape or form do you need a technical degree to obtain a high level tech job.
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    5502george5502george Member Posts: 264
    Sr. network/security with a degree in Aeronautics....ha ha
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    ^ this exactly ...and to further the point my Horticulture degree is only an associatesicon_eek.gif . I am big supporter in the ideal you do not need a degree to be in IT technical roles and to some extent management roles as well, if you power your way up the later at a company its certainly possible. HOWEVER the out of the class room learning you get out of going to a university is priceless as well. Social skills are just as important as technology skills in the work place IMO!
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I know of three examples that have non-IT degrees, all three are in very hands on technical positions.

coworker - BA in History / former Jr High teacher
    coworker - AS in general studies
    Alison Nixon - Threat researcher for Deloitt - "Associates in something completely useless"