Options

Laptops for virtualization

ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
Does anyone know the model and brand of a laptop that can handle virtualization with a breeze? Need the processor that can do that type stuff, and have lots of memory I suppose. Could be a desktop I guess. But I'd rather have a laptop.

Comments

• Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I run some images on my macbook pro 15 retina. 8GB ram, 2.3GHz Intel i7 , 960gb SSD, Nvidia GT650M 1GB RAM. I have a small virtual pentesting lab with some windows xp, windows7, linux, metasploitable images that run fine. I run a Kali Linux VM to do all the pentesting of those hosts. I also run a small routing lab on GNS3 with 2 to 4 windows xp hosts just for connectivity purposes. These images dont do anything and are just there to practice pentesting of vulnerabilities or just as live hosts to ping for my GNS3 labs. I use vitual box for the scenarios above. I use VMWARE MAC to run VM's of cisco's UCS emulator and F5's BIGIP VM.

In a nutshell:
    Hardware: Macbook Pro 15 Retina. 8GB ram, 2.3GHz Intel i7 , 960gb SSD, Nvidia GT650M 1GB RAM.
    Software: Virtual Box. Images = Winxp, Win7, Kali Linux, Linux, Metaspoitable.
    Software: VMWARE Fusion. Images = Cisco UCS Emulator, F5 BIGIP VM.

I do not run all at the same time but I do run each software setup all at the same time. I can run the virtual box setup all at once or the VMWARE Fusion all at once.

You can always go bigger with the RAM and CPU on your option.
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS ROG G750JM - ASUS

I'm rocking with 32 GB of RAM and 2 x 500GB in RAID-0.

However, my experience of vSphere in VMware Workstation is less than spectacular - let's just say there are issues with stability!

I would probably recommend having a server to remote in to. You could remote in to the server using a cheap laptop or desktop while at home or from work. You could setup PPTP on your home DD-WRT router to VPN in? Also running ESXi on ESXi will be far more stable.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/virtualization/102943-need-help-build-virtualization-lab.html
    ^^^ Great thread to read!
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    TestTrack (a VCAP5-DCA replica under Workstation) was developed on a Lenovo W510 with i7 Extreme CPU and 16GB of RAM, and currently runs on three Alienware 18: i7-4900MQ, 32GB RAM.

SSD is nice but a good 7200RPM will get you by.

The Lenovo was $5k including a docking station, the 18s were $4k ea.

My desktop runs virtual circles around them and cost about $2200, tho about half of that (extra hard drives, big monitors, gaming video card) would not be needed for a virtualization build.
  • Options
    Asif Dasl wrote: »
    @GSXRules/Joshua - How long do you run TestTrack on VMware Workstation? Have you had random freezes or NICs not being picked up within Workstation - Just curious...?
    Nevermind, I found a blog post on your site and others that mentions NICs not being picked up is a bug in Workstation - first time I have had the problem which is strange. Anyways I'm eagerly awaiting on Workstation 11 in the next few weeks...

EDIT - adding the lines below to the VMX file will get it working as normal (obviously I have 10 NICS icon_smile.gif )

ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet1.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet2.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet3.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet4.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet5.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet6.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet7.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet8.virtualDev = "e1000"
    ethernet9.virtualDev = "e1000"
  • Options
    xenodamusxenodamus Member Posts: 758
    I just built out a lab on my work laptop and it flies - Latitude 6530, i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD.

Go for a decent CPU with as much RAM as you can afford/fit. Throw in an SSD and you'll be golden - doesn't really matter what make/model laptop.
    CISSP | CCNA:R&S/Security | MCSA 2003 | A+ S+ | VCP6-DTM | CCA-V CCP-V
  • Options
    I started TT on I think Workstation 8 (maybe 7) and run it on 10 right now. I've never had a bug/problem and it gets pounded pretty good.

I have a home "server" running workstation 7 that hasn't been rebooted in years. Hosts my personal 2008 DC and Exchange 2010 on a $300 refurbished HP micro desktop.

VMWare Workstation - virtually unstoppable since 1999.

;)
  • Options
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    HP laptop (~$1000, probably cheaper now with more affordable SSD prices)
    -i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Works fine for most things. I have ran nested esxi setups, linux hosts/server, and windows hosts/servers. The issue you will eventually run into is RAM usage. I would run 2-ESXi 5.5, 1-vCenter, 1-Server 2012, and 1-Windows 7 Pro VM for most of my labbing. It would be about 13gb used on Win8.1 and Workstation 10.

If you can do a desktop, you will be in much better shape for less $$. My new desktop setup is by far superior to anything else I have had and that includes a couple ebay servers that used to live in my rack. Sacrifice some memory going this way, but it is quiet, cool, and power efficient.
    -Supermicro X10SLH-F
    -Xeon 1231v3
    -32GB ECC DDR3
    -3x 256GB SSD
    -Dual port Intel NIC
    -a couple spinning drives for storage.
  • Options
    ChadiusChadius Member Posts: 313 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the replies. :) The server idea sounds like a nice idea. If I can keep my one year old daughter away from daddies expensive toys, a desktop would work best. A laptop I can keep away from her. ;)
  • Options
    I hear that. Why does the power button always light up?

'course my 1 year old pulled several keys off the W510. And the big systems are lucky to get 90min on a battery.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Does anyone have a laptop configured to boot directly into a hypervisor? I'd rather have a laptop dedicated to running a hypervisor that runs VMs and skipping the need for a host OS altogether.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Instead of buying your own server, do any of you use cloud services? If so, how is your experience with it?
  • Options
    peter_mpeter_m Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    gc8dc95 wrote: »
    HP laptop (~$1000, probably cheaper now with more affordable SSD prices)
    -i5, 16GB, 512GB SSD

Works fine for most things. I have ran nested esxi setups, linux hosts/server, and windows hosts/servers. The issue you will eventually run into is RAM usage. I would run 2-ESXi 5.5, 1-vCenter, 1-Server 2012, and 1-Windows 7 Pro VM for most of my labbing. It would be about 13gb used on Win8.1 and Workstation 10.

Hi,
    does it work fast/smoothly when you run all that or is it a little bit slow? I'm about to buy a laptop, but the portable ones don't support more than 16GB of RAM unfortunately. However, if all that runs fast I would like to go for macbook pro 13". Please, let me know.

Peter
  • Options
    OTGOTG Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    the answer to whether or not a laptop can be used as a complete and isolated virtual lab environment for studying for basic Microsoft certification skills. This thread is the only intelligent conversation on the matter I have been able to find.

About to study for 70-410 and trying to avoid needing to have another PC in the house that I can't pick up and take with me to study/use wherever I might roam to (i.e. backwoods away from people for example ... not that I don't like you [the reader] or anything). I know ... I can remote into the home set up from a cheap laptop but I prefer not to have to depend on being able to connect remotely in order to use it when not at home. I want no internet access = still have lab set up to play with. Also, laptop uses less power and no power if I am plugged into someone else's outlet (yeah, I am cheap. So what.)

Anyway, I was looking at a laptop with an i7 Extreme CPU but RAM capacity limited to 16GB and no SSD drives. Reason is, the laptop was only $450 (refurb w/ 2-4GB sticks now). I figured I could upgrade to SSD drive and max out the RAM. At that pointy, I am in for at least $800 so not sure it is worth it.

My idea was to set up the free MS Hyper-V hypervisor build (not interested in using anything not Microsoft at this time), run a basic infrastructure in that for learning (VM's = a couple of 2008 R2's temporarily, a few 2012 R2's Core/DC/Other and Win 8/7).

My questions are ...

1) Has anyone tried this kind of set up and is it adequate to get by for 70-410, 411 and 412 at least? I am more stressed by trying to figure out if I have to spend over $1500 for a gaming laptop or cave in and go for a box at the house which I really don't want.

2) With this kind of setup, will it be possible to connect to my wireless/wired network? I am embarrassed that I don't know even this much.

Any constructive feedback on the validity of the set up or how I can (or can't) use it would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

- Old Tech Guy (OTG)
  • Options
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Does anyone have a laptop configured to boot directly into a hypervisor? I'd rather have a laptop dedicated to running a hypervisor that runs VMs and skipping the need for a host OS altogether.
    This option is very expensive because there is only a few laptops which can run 32GB at the moment (Asus G750 series, MSI GT70 series and Lenovo W510/W540 that I know of). I spent $1300 on the laptop alone not including the 32GB of RAM or both of my 500GB SSDs.

For the price of the laptop you could get a server with 72GB of RAM for $600 and connect to it remotely with a cheap laptop.

@Old Tech Guy:

(1) - The problem with running a Type-1 hypervisor (like the free MS Hyper-V or VMware ESXi) is you still need another computer to connect to it. You really need a Type-2 hypervisor like Windows 8 Hyper-V / VMware Workstation / VirtualBox which all require the use of the OS.

All of the Type-2 hypervisors are all adequate for studying for 70-410/411/412 on a single PC - you can even nest Server 2012 Hyper-V inside Windows 8 Hyper-V with a little work.

(2) - If you use a Type-2 hypervisor then you will have access to the same networking that's available to the OS. So you can bridge the networking of the VMs with your wireless network and have some VMs on the laptop and some somewhere else on the network if you wished.
  • Options
    Hi Asif,

Thank you. I appreciate the concise and pertinent feedback. It is refreshing to get a good unbiased factual answer to my question on the first response. I guess there is a first time for everything on the internet. icon_smile.gif

On an unrelated topic ... which of your certs do you find most valuable in the real world (meaning have the most value in doing as well as affirmation of skills)? Just curious ...

OTG
  • Options
    OTG wrote: »
    On an unrelated topic ... which of your certs do you find most valuable in the real world (meaning have the most value in doing as well as affirmation of skills)? Just curious ...
    That's a hard question - they all gave me something of value. I think MCDST gave me my troubleshooting skills, MCSE'03 gave me the most in terms of day-to-day work knowledge (the books were fantastic to go through) and the VCP gives me the most in terms of future skills that I hope to use day-to-day as I am not working with VMware at present. Of the 3 - VCP was the most "fun". Hope that answers the question! :)
  • Options
    ItrimbleItrimble Member Posts: 221
    I use an ASUS K56CA laptop for ESXi (lab) purposes. It's a Core i5 with 16GB of memory, and a 256 GB SSD. It supports IOMMU of the CPU, and Motherboard. Works great for day to day use. It's rock solid and is not power efficient. The biggest downside is that I think it only supports 16Gb of memory.
    Goals for 2015 : Finish BS Network Administration at WGU
    Become CCNA, CISSP, CEH, VCP5-10 Certified
    Possible Start Masters in Information Security
  • Options
    Hi,

I ended up going with a Lenovo TS140 server with an Xeon E3-1225 V3 proc for $350. The E3 comes with AMT 9.5 ( Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT) ) which is nice ... if I can actually use it when I am not at home to manage the box outside of the OS/Hypervisor installed. I still have to add some bits to it in order for it to be a fully functional lab setup (max out memory, SSD's, HDD's and Multiport NIC) but it sure won't be the price of a gaming laptop!

Now I need to see what others are doing to switching and routing between the physical (cable modem/wireless AP/switch/server NIC's) and virtual worlds. The fun never ends. icon_smile.gif

OTG

PS Asif, that did answer my question. Thank you. icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    XavorXavor Member Posts: 161
    JDMurray wrote: »

I spent some time working on a Dell Latitude to do this. It's a lot of work and great experience with vt-d, but the reward wasn't enough for the time investment.

You would need a separate machine to set it up initially, but here's the steps I did:

Configure the BIOS for vt-d (or the AMD version)
    Install the hypervisor
    Log in from another computer and create your desktop VM, configure it to boot after the hypervisor does and reserve it's memory

The laptop would not release the graphics to the VM properly and I scrapped the project at this point.
  • Options
    Xavor wrote: »
    I spent some time working on a Dell Latitude to do this. It's a lot of work and great experience with vt-d, but the reward wasn't enough for the time investment.

Thanks for this feedback. Reaffirms what I had already decided. Nice in concept but not so good in reality (like most classroom lab scenarios). :D