Options

VCAP numbers in the world ?

Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
Does anybody know how many VCAPs there are in the world? All I could find was this tweet but no other corroborating evidence as to whether it's accurate or not... or what the current figure is.

Is there an official site for VCAPs like vExperts or no?

https://twitter.com/vmstan/status/454688721711792130

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Wow, didn't realize there are so few VCAPs
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There were about 800 DCDs when I got mine about 2 years ago. One of the replies mention ~3k, VCAPs which sounds reasonable.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Then the question if those are certs or individual people. Each VCDX will have at least two VCAP for example.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    scott28ttscott28tt Member Posts: 686 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jibbajabba wrote: »
    Then the question if those are certs or individual people. Each VCDX will have at least two VCAP for example.
    I'd expect those to be numbers of certs.

Those are definitely not official numbers though (with the possible exception of VCDXs) as VMware don't publish the number of VCAs/VCPs/VCAPs.
    VCP2 / VCP3 / VCP4 / VCP5 / VCAP4-DCA / VCI / vExpert 2010-2012
    Blog - http://vmwaretraining.blogspot.com
    Twitter - http://twitter.com/vmtraining
    Email - vmtraining.blog@gmail.com
  • Options
    ZentraediZentraedi Member Posts: 150
    That VCDX number has to be wrong. I know Mr. #135. Then you have all the newly minted VCDX-NVs.
    Current Study Track
    EMCCA, EMCCAe, EMCCE, VCIX-NV, Puppet Practitioner, ServiceNow
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm surprised that VCAP hasn't gained any more traction than it has.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I have not seen one job asking for VCAP over here, but I have seen VMware partners who have employed VCAPs on the partners page - but that won't stop me trying to get to VCAP(s).

I checked Indeed and there was only 200 jobs looking for a VCAP in the whole of the U.S. and some of them where looking for VCAP or VCP. I was a bit surprised.
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I'm surprised that VCAP hasn't gained any more traction than it has.

Exam cost may be part of it? I'm even having to forgive a few beers to save up for it (as my employer won't currently pay for this one).
    In the UK, there is very little mention of VCAP on any of the job boards except when a recruiter adds it alongside VCP just because they've heard of it.

Maybe that's why they don't publish the numbers?

I would add though, I think anyone with a VCP should study the VCAP material, it'll really help you out on the job no matter if there are 500 or 5 million certified VCAP's out there icon_thumright.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I had a few job requirements here in the UK which required VCAP - a lot of times you will see this when applying for jobs in partners, like Insight. Those roles are sometimes funded by VMware so the companies want to have people with the highest possible credentials in order to get that funding.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I was determined to go for VCAP primarily because the process of preparing for VCAP would make me better at my job (which it did to an extent), and I was hoping that it would help me to stand out when I went looking for that next job. I haven't changed jobs yet, so jury is still out on that one, but I haven't seen any postings requesting VCAP (though "VMware Expert" could include VCAP).
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Well let me ask this:

VCP seems like the standard for most MSP's, but what is the real RIO if someone was to pursue a VCAP? ... to me 50 hosts (lets be honest most small to medium sized companies won't get past 3 hosts that are say beefy R620's with 192 GB of RAM in a cluster) which is something someone with a VCP can sustain without much problem.

Now I say the standard since lets be honest how many companies really need a vCenter design that has more than 50 hosts?

....Like what would entice someone to pursue a VCAP? ...I'm really curious since I'm currently pursuing my VCP after the Stanly courses finish in a few weeks.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Deathmage wrote: »
    Well let me ask this:

VCP seems like the standard for most MSP's, but what is the real RIO if someone was to pursue a VCAP? ... to me 50 hosts (lets be honest most small to medium sized companies won't get past 3 hosts that are say beefy R620's with 192 GB of RAM in a cluster) which is something someone with a VCP can sustain without much problem.

Now I say the standard since lets be honest how many companies really need a vCenter design that has more than 50 hosts?

....Like what would entice someone to pursue a VCAP? ...I'm really curious since I'm currently pursuing my VCP after the Stanly courses finish in a few weeks.

VCP = CCNA. Do you really want a CCNA to architect your enterprise network?

As for companies with more than 50 hosts, any Fortune 500 companies, any public cloud providers using VMware, any gov't agencies.

VCP test to see if you have enough knowledge to manage a virtual platform. VCAP test to see if you can design and manage an enterprise virtual platform, VCDX test to see if you can design an enterprise datacenter.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    dave330i wrote: »
    VCP = CCNA. Do you really want a CCNA to architect your enterprise network?

As for companies with more than 50 hosts, any Fortune 500 companies, any public cloud providers using VMware, any gov't agencies.

VCP test to see if you have enough knowledge to manage a virtual platform. VCAP test to see if you can design and manage an enterprise virtual platform, VCDX test to see if you can design an enterprise datacenter.

Thanks!
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    As I understand it, the VCAP is a hands on lab, I dare say that is why all the "VCP" certified people don't gain that certification?
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    GSXRulesGSXRules Member Posts: 109
    VCAP-xxA are hands-on VCAP-xxD are design exams, no hands-on