Options

Losing hope

finneyjabrahamfinneyjabraham Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I recently moved to Philly from Toronto on a contract position. Seeing that there was no hopes for growth or opportunity, I'm trying to apply to new jobs. I have this desire to get into SCCM admin type roles and work on desktop imaging. But I have no experience or way to get into such opportunities. What am I doing wrong? I'm almost at a point were I will just take a level 1 support position and give up.
Finney Abraham

2014 Goal
WGU BS-Network Administration [ ]
CCNA [X] CCDA [ ] MCSA [X] Project+ [X] Storage+ [ ]

Comments

• Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I have had a similar issue with networking. Despite having my CCNA nobody really wants to hire someone for a networking position without any work experience. Best plan of attack is to just do the best job you can where you are and try to learn from coworkers. Offer to help them do the menial parts of their job and hopefully get more responsibilities.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I will be looking for a new job next year and will face similar problems. I don't yet know how I am going to break into the IT and possibly networking field but I know persistence is part of the equation.

Start by doing the best you can at what you are currently doing. Learn everything you can and keep trying.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    arrogantbastardarrogantbastard Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm fortunate enough to have over four years of networking experience from being in the military, that's one route. Otherwise I see everyone saying take whatever entry experience you can swing... help desk etc. Unfortunately while a CCNA and some experience can land you a very nice job, a CCNA and no experience can leave you frustrated and lost if you don't catch a break.
  • Options
    finneyjabrahamfinneyjabraham Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone. I know that desktop engineering requires tons of experience, but having to start from the bottom again sucks.
    Finney Abraham

2014 Goal
    WGU BS-Network Administration [ ]
    CCNA [X] CCDA [ ] MCSA [X] Project+ [X] Storage+ [ ]
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Yes it does. Maybe consider taking a less role that involves the use of SCCM. In larger enterprises you can get your hands on the tool set and learn certain parts of it. After learning those core pieces you can move up in the company in theory or look for another position where you have real world experience using SCCM.
  • Options
    srjsrj Member Posts: 58 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would definitely recommend taking a lower position at a company with room for growth. I did this for my first job in IT 10 months ago. I was recently promoted to System Administrator with only 8 months of experience in the field. It is all about proving yourself and showing that you can learn new things.
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It might be a step backwards, but think of it as a backwards and sideways step into a longer path. Where you are now, the path isn't very long. Is that worth while?

I took such a move nearly 2 years ago, and have never looked back - only forward.
  • Options
    LinuxNerdLinuxNerd Member Posts: 83 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The answer is to immediately apply yourself non-stop in developing skills that are in immediate demand and will get you employed.

Android Developing.
    Security tools.
    Etc.

Think of something that is in need, code it using a scripting or programing language, show a company, get a job. On your resume list yourself as an Independent Programmer, etc. Your programs are your pass.