Options

After interview follow up?

Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
Late last week I had a first round phone interview with a local company for an infosec analyst. I had connected with the internal recruiter first over linkedin as they had two listings for the same position with different titles and wanted to clarify. We had a great interview, she told me repeatedly how well she felt it went and how pleased she was. But, she did point out that the next level people are looking for someone with more hands on with vulnerability scanning software and security alert systems.

So, because of that, over the weekend I installed Nessus and Security Onion to try to get more hands on with the specific types of tools they'd use. Otherwise I had more than enough experience in everything else they wanted. I have no doubts at all that I can pick up whatever software they use quickly, but I do know some people get really hung up on specific requirements.

Would it be weird/wrong/strange to email the recruiter back and let them know what I'm doing? I haven't been on the hiring side in a long time and I know I would have appreciated it if someone told me what they were doing, but I don't know if it's generally frowned upon.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Anyone? Its been 2 weeks today, not sure if I should follow up and mention something or if that seems too desperate. It's a company and role I'd really like to get into so I'm trying to make sure I do everything right.
  • Options
    rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, there are two ways to look at this. They may have already hired someone else, so why does it matter if you email her back? Or they may still be working on it and a polite email *probably* won't hurt. What you don't want to do is email or call three times a day for weeks on end. Believe me, it occurs.
  • Options
    Thanks, I know they haven't hired someone else yet because a new outside recruiter (I interviewed with an inside one) is now also recruiting for the position. They did mention on the last interview that it might take a few weeks, so I'm not at a crazy late point or anything. I was more wondering if it's OK to include what I've been working on with the update email vs just checking in.

For reference, I haven't called or emailed since the thank you note I sent 2 weeks ago after the last interview.
  • Options
    You can, but it probably won't make much difference. The new information probably won't making to the person doing the hiring.

In addition a weekend of playing with it isn't really much experience. However, should you make it past the first cut and get an interview with the technical person it would be a very good thing to have.
  • Options
    You're right, I'll be patient. I'm more than qualified in all the other areas, done plenty of security tasks in past jobs, just haven't held a 100% security position and it seems like the one thing that is holding me back from getting into the field. Getting anxious about breaking through but I'll sit on my hands for the weekend and try to relax about it.
  • Options
    Well, you can sit on your hands or you can prepare for the possibility of the interview.

Know the company well, try to understand the industry they are in, how they fit into that industry.

Depending on the field, start looking at maybe some future plans for yourself. Something along the lines of "I really like the possibility of this job as it would allow me to further my pursuit of the CEH or CISSP."
  • Options
    Well I don't mean sit on my hands and don't do anything else, I mean just to keep myself from emailing the recruiter for a status update. I'm already studying for the CEH at this very moment actually.