Options

Average time to find a new job?

NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi guys, I really hope you would be able to provide me with some advice.

So this is my situation:

I currently work in the Advanced Tech Support department at an ISP Company, I year ago I started a Masters in Telecommunications (I still have one more year before I finish it), I'm really interested in the Networking industry, my dream job would be to become a Network Engineer/ administrator, unfortunately the Company where I am right now, doesn't offer any position that I may be interested about (I've been waiting for years, but nothing comes up), so I'm really planning to get a new job during January of 2015, the reason I have to wait until January is because the Company offered me tuition reimbursement, and I have to wait one full year before I leave otherwise I would have to pay the money back.

So my question is... When do you think it would be a good time (month) to start looking/ applying for jobs to be able to get a Job by January? As I mentioned before I have Tech Support Experience, I'm half way through of my Master's degree, I just passed my CCENT last week, and I'm planning to get my CCNA before dec 31, 2014.

I really appreciate your input!

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. MeeseeksMr. Meeseeks Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's really hard to say. There are a lot of factors that can determine it taking 2 weeks or 6 months. It took me 4 months to land my current job. The company was coming off a hiring freeze and they run a lean staff. It will also depend on how the market in your area is doing in your particular field/niche. If I were you, I would probably start looking hard in November and maybe start applying Dec. 1st.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would start looking now. You can always turn down any job offers but it's good to see what sort of options you have.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    Jon_Cisco wrote: »
    I would start looking now. You can always turn down any job offers but it's good to see what sort of options you have.

I'll second this. Hiring season does a little warm-up in September before going full steam in Q4.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    It's taken me 1 months. I submitted to about 15 jobs and I current have 5 offers that I will need to make a determination by Friday. Ironically my last day at my current employer is Friday so I don't want my lapse period to be long. So I told all of them I could start on the 2nd and they are fine with that....

Me personally I have quite a bit of anxiety since I don't know what to expect, but I know it's a move in the right direction for me to grow...
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It really depends on your objectives. Do you want to lateral into something you already have quite a bit of experience in? Not to long for me usually, but who wants to do that? Well..... At least I don't I want to make more money as I move job to job. I always plan on spending 1 - 2 months looking if I am going to make a transition.
  • Options
    NetEsoonNetEsoon Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Excellent!!! Thank to you all for your input... So this is what I'll do, I will update my resume and LinkedIn account, and I will start applying for jobs at the end of September.

@Deathmage: Congrats man... 5 job offers? Wow, that is nice... I hope I can be in a similar situation, where I can have different options to select... I wish you the best, I know it is a little bit challenging, because a change is change but it will be for your benefit, so no worries, you will be okay, and even happier when you start receiving a bigger check :)