Options

Temporary IE files

Ally77Ally77 Member Posts: 212
Hey, am currently trying to troubleshoot a slow internet dial-up connection and am looking for a bit of advice. Im running ad-aware, stinger and norton internet security to detect viruses and sptware that could be the cause of this.
I know that the temporary IE files can also be a cause of a slow connection but am unsure of how i can determine when this is the cause. i.e the temp folder gets to a certain size etc

Any help appreciated :D

Comments

• Options
    vexvex Member Posts: 113
    You could delete the temp files and see if your connection speeds up.
    Ancient Certs:
    Exam 70-064: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows® 95
    Exam 70-067: Implementing and Supporting Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You might also consider having the phone company check the line for noise as that can also cause slow connect speeds.
  • Options
    2 things can cause a PC to run extra slow. Temps and msconfig startup. Open up msconfig, and make sure you check the startup menu. Try and clear out as much of it as you can. Also, go to ccleaner.com. Run the temp file cleaner, and then run the registry fixer. Then restart the PC and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't, then try uninstalling the modem, and reinstalling it. Also run modem diagnostics as well. Try and determine from this point if there is a hardware problem with the modem. If all of this fails, then consult the ISP.
  • Options
    ok people, thanks for the advice!! the speed of the modem appears 2 be normal but at times its jus painfully slow opening up web pages (random pages). il try ur advice thanks
  • Options
    jmc724jmc724 Member Posts: 415
    You are on dialup, speed are always slow, get cable or dsl....
    What next?
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    it could just be the page that it is trying to open - that page could have lots of graphics and large graphics
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ally77 - part of the problem you are experiencing is that many web designers do not take people with dial-up into account when designing sites these days.
    Sometimes I run across people who have home pages that take several minutes to load - I swap them to say Google and is loads reasonably quick and they are very grateful. Not only is it the graphics, but also code that you do not see and animations that kill dial-up. Heck, I remember when the internet was text only (except for **** sites icon_rolleyes.gif ) and once graphics came in people started putting all sorts of animated gifs and flash graphics on theior pages that just brought a 14k or 28k moden to a stall and and slowed even the better connections down.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    RussS wrote:
    Heck, I remember when the internet was text only (except for **** sites icon_rolleyes.gif ) and once graphics came in people started putting all sorts of animated gifs and flash graphics on theior pages that just brought a 14k or 28k moden to a stall and and slowed even the better connections down.

I remember 'Upgrading' to a 14.4K modem.....that was speed ;)
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Oh please! I remember being impressed when "upgrading" from 110 to 300 baud on a DECwriter, and astonished at the 4x speed increase going from 300 to 1200 baud using Telnet (I think that year was 1984). I never went past V.32 (9.6K) on dial-up. By the time V.90 (56K) modems came out I was already on DSL.

Those were the daze...
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Oh please! I remember being impressed when "upgrading" from 110 to 300 baud on a DECwriter, and astonished at the 4x speed increase going from 300 to 1200 baud using Telnet (I think that year was 1984). I never went past V.32 (9.6K) on dial-up. By the time V.90 (56K) modems came out I was already on DSL.

Those were the daze...

'84 sounds about right on the 300 up to 1200 baud, and that one I remember as well. Though my first personal modem was a 2400baud.

The 14.4 was just the most exciting for me, seemed like we'd never get there ;)

And I did have the V.90's just haven't gone with the V.92's
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    jdmurray wrote:
    (I think that year was 1984)

Yes I remember that well too... except I hadn't even been born.
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote:
    Though my first personal modem was a 2400baud.
    I never actually upgraded my modem until the price of the next higher speed model dropped to $200. I seem to remember that US Robotics usually led the modem price wars, and then later it was Practical Peripherals. I think 2400 baud modems dipped below $200 in 1987. That was the best value for the money until the V.92 modem came out years later. It's unreal the kind of memory, disk space, and video performance you can buy for $200 now.

[Uh, I think we dragged this thread a bit off-topic. icon_wink.gif]
  • Options
    2lazybutsmart2lazybutsmart Member Posts: 1,119
    I remember buying 4 megs of ram for $200
    Exquisite as a lily, illustrious as a full moon,
    Magnanimous as the ocean, persistent as time.
  • Options

I got a StarTrek CD for Christmas and it needed 8 megs of ram, I only had 4MB, and yes that was about what is cost me in 1993.

Now you can buy a USB Thumb drive with 1GB for under $100. :D

realizing we've jumped sideways on the topic, ALLY77 are you all set?
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Dang old fogies icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    In 1988 I bought a new Conner 200MB hard drive "at cost" for $200. One dollar per megabyte for hard disk storage; I couldn't believe how prices had fallen!! Now in 2005 it's about $0.30 a gigabyte for much faster and efficient disk storage. How things have really changed.

Oh, I still have that 200MB Conner hard disk. It still works just fine. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ok people thanks for the replies, it jus seemed to be slowing down all of a sudden but broadband is top of my list. thanks
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    increase the virtual memory start up size
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE