Options

Home Lab Build

CMOSCMOS Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I'd like to build a server that I can use 3 to 5 VMs (maybe more but seems unlikely) on. Primary purpose is to lab/test. I don't really know where to start in terms of hardware; ideally I'd like it to be quiet and consume a minimal amount of power and I'd like the OS to be Win 2012 R2 (I'd start with Hyper-V but may like to try some others). Budget is around $500. Beyond that I'm open to any suggestions/education on hardware.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If it is just going to be a basic lab/test environment, then I would build a budget mid-range whitebox.

Something around these specs is plenty to play around:

-i3 processor
    -research a system board that fits your needs
    -16GB RAM
    -SSD would be nice
    -HDD for extra storage

Processing power isn't usually a problem. It is the RAM and storage IO that you need to keep under control.
  • Options
    mokazmokaz Member Posts: 172
    CMOS wrote: »
    Hello all,

I'd like to build a server that I can use 3 to 5 VMs (maybe more but seems unlikely) on. Primary purpose is to lab/test. I don't really know where to start in terms of hardware; ideally I'd like it to be quiet and consume a minimal amount of power and I'd like the OS to be Win 2012 R2 (I'd start with Hyper-V but may like to try some others). Budget is around $500. Beyond that I'm open to any suggestions/education on hardware.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi there,

i've been running ESXi (free licensed vSphere Hypervisor) onto an Intel NUC DC3217IYE device, this coupled with a 256GB SSD from samsung (EVO840 something...). It works like a charm although i'm mainly running "client" alike VMs (W81, Suse desktop stuff like that...) And yes, i've filled the little box with 16GB ram which is its max i think. I've also had to mod the ESXi image in order to inject some ethernet drivers that where missing or de-supported by VMware.

Though really i'm more then pleased with this system, super quiet and running 5 to 6 clients OS easy.

Hope that helps.
    regards,
    m.
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Could be budget, depending on your eBay findings. I build mine based on the Dell T5500

Lab – Physical Setup « Open902
    Lab – vSphere Setup « Open902
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p