Options

One down, one to go...

chronos42chronos42 Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon!

Just posting to introduce myself. I just joined up here and hope to contribute in any way I can. I currently work help desk/desktop support, and I've spent the past few months working on my A+.

Passed the 801 last week with an 840, and I'll be tackling the 802 next weekend. After that, the goal is CCENT/CCNA, and with those I hope to find a bigger and better (and better-paying) job!

Greetings to all!

Comments

• Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Welcome @chronos42!

It's great to hear you're halfway through your A+ (congrats on first pass!), looking in the near future for more certs, and bettering yourself for employment opportunities.
  • Options
    cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    Welcome and congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks! I'm excited to start advancing my career.
  • Options
    OojijoOOojijoO Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you use any study materials at all for the 801? If so, what would you recommend? Im currently using the ExamCram by Prouse. I took the 801 practice exam in the back of the book and missed a few, but went back and studied some and retook the practice test and didnt miss any. Im curious as to how much of the material is actually on the exam. Specifically different memory modules, north and southbridge, networking ports etc.
  • Options
    OojijoO wrote: »
    Did you use any study materials at all for the 801? If so, what would you recommend? Im currently using the ExamCram by Prouse. I took the 801 practice exam in the back of the book and missed a few, but went back and studied some and retook the practice test and didnt miss any. Im curious as to how much of the material is actually on the exam. Specifically different memory modules, north and southbridge, networking ports etc.

I used Mike Meyer's All-In-One guide. It was a weighty tome, and probably more in-depth than necessary, but it certainly filled in any and all gaps I had in my knowledge, and helped me understand everything from the ground up.

From there, I bought the Exam Cram practice questions book (mostly just used the software to take the practice exams), in addition to taking the quizzes at examcompass.com. If you need something in addition to all that, hit up Professor Messer's videos. They're a good, quick, concise review of everything.

As for what's actually on the exam, and how in-depth the knowledge needs to be -- It is necessary to know things like types of RAM, pin counts, architecture/layouts, ports, sockets, etc. I'd say look at exactly which elements are listed on the CompTIA exam objectives and know those well.
  • Options
    OojijoOOojijoO Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Ive been using the Certblaster practice tests and the examcompass.com 25 question quizzes. Im scoring 90% or higher on both the Certblaster practice tests and the examcompass.com quizzes. My 801 is scheduled for next Monday. I hope I pass.