Options

Cisco CCNA for promotion.

pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
If I said I had 3 weeks to get my CCNA, how would you guys suggest the best route without any physical switches to study and learn everything I can?
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd say it comes down to how much knowledge and experience you have with networking and Cisco. You will need to know the Cisco command line (hierarchy, commands, and troubleshooting). The test is no joke if you're not familiar and getting it done in 3 weeks will be difficult. You can try some Cisco command line simulators if you don't have access to actual devices.

Good luck.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    jvrlopez wrote: »
    I'd say it comes down to how much knowledge and experience you have with networking and Cisco. You will need to know the Cisco command line (hierarchy, commands, and troubleshooting). The test is no joke if you're not familiar and getting it done in 3 weeks will be difficult. You can try some Cisco command line simulators if you don't have access to actual devices.

Good luck.

I have about 8 months, getting into the switches, changing vlans, resetting ports on the switch, setting port speed, configuring POE, adding a new switch to an existing stack. Basic stuff like that. What are some good study materials?
  • Options
    jvrlopezjvrlopez Member Posts: 913 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd recommend the composite CCNA Lammle Sybex book.
    And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high. ~Ayrton Senna
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    I would get your hands on the CBT nuggets for the ICND1 and 2 and packet tracer ...also the Cisco press books I preferred over the Sybex book. My method of attack was read a chapter ...watch the corresponding video in CBT...go lab it in packer tracer. With 8 months XP on the gear I would say its doable (maybe) in 3 weeks as long as you can grasp the theory...don't be tempted by the dark side just for a promotion, chumps ****...you all know what I mean icon_wink.gif

Oh and smash sub netting hard cause its laced throughout that test...this site helps , get it so you can answer any question in less than 10 seconds
    subnettingquestions.com - Free Subnetting Questions and Answers Randomly Generated Online
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Oh yeah subnetting for sure. It's one of those things that in the real world you just might use a calculator, but at test time you have to do it yourself, quickly. But, when you can do it quickly they are like freebie questions.
  • Options
    Awesome thanks you guys. I wont exactly get a promotion if I get it, but it gives me a shot to compete with other to get one.
  • Options
    aftereffectoraftereffector Member Posts: 525 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's not impossible. I got CCNA relatively quickly, but I studied all day, 7 days a week, and I had PacketTracer to "lab" with. I wouldn't have gotten anywhere by just reading the book - I had to actually configure devices to make the concepts stick.
    CCIE Security - this one might take a while...
  • Options
    markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agreed on the Packet Tracer. I am planning on taking my CCENT within a week and I couldn't imagine where I would be if I didn't have that program. CCNA is only going to be more in depth and I'd be lost if I couldn't layout a network.
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I'm wondering how you guys actually 'use' packet tracer. I've attempted to mess around with it but even with Lammle's guide and the included labs, it doesn't really show you how to configure everything in PT. I understand they have different modules and switches etc but I don't see any instructions to configure them.

I feel Lammle's book is more geared for real world devices but he doesn't really touch on how to use packet tracer.

Hope someone can give some tips, it would be immensely appreciated.

Justin
  • Options
    blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    PT is a virtual lab environment. You learn to configure them via the various study methods (cisco.com, cisco press books, googling stuff, etc). It just gives you a means to test your configuration abilities without having to buy all the equipment
  • Options
    VAHokie56VAHokie56 Member Posts: 783
    configuring devices in PT takes the same knowledge to a certain degree it would to configure a real device...now at a operational level of just using the program and its features try you tubing "Cisco packet tracer basics" I am sure people have made videos....in fact here this took me all of 5 seconds...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wz8qI_nBK4
    .ιlι..ιlι.
    CISCO
    "A flute without holes, is not a flute. A donut without a hole, is a Danish" - Ty Webb
    Reading:NX-OS and Cisco Nexus Switching: Next-Generation Data Center Architectures